The Olympic Games - is anyone bothered?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So another four years has come around, again. This time Beijing.

But is anyone really interested in it?

I lost interest in the Olympics when the 1996 games were awarded to Atlanta instead of Athens for the centenary event. Money talks.

And the US has hosted many summer and winter games at the exclusion of other, more suitable locations.

Drugs will continue to be a contentious issue, and no doubt some dubious refereeing/umpiring decisions will arise once more.

Athletes will continue to be regarded as 'superstars' or 'heroes', but basically are on the make for big money, to go with their over-inflated egos.

And soon it'll be on your doorsteps - London 2012!

Maybe this should be in P&L but I can't be bothered to change it! :ohmy:

Anyway, the cycling will interest me, but otherwise I'm not fussed.

Anyone else left cold by it?

Mr Pig

Dayvo said:
But is anyone really interested in it?

Not me.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I've always found the Olympics a bit of a farce. I don't really see why cycling bothers with it as we have our own world championships anyway. I will watch the cycling and hope our lot do well, but for me a win in a TdF stage is worth more than an Olympic gold.

At least we can be confident that most of the cyclists are clean, unlike the other sports where they don't test properly to avoid bad publicity.

longers

Legendary Member
I enjoy the table tennis and synchronised diving. Great stuff :ohmy:.

just jim

I wonder if the advances made in shoelace technology will be noticeable during the games, especially the curling event, one which we Scots are sure to excel at!

wafflycat

No, not interested at all. Probably not even the cycling. All that congratulating of China on a wonderful build, everything on time... all easy in a totalitarian state where you can throw folk out of their homes to make way for the build...

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
My enthusiasm for the Olympics over the years has been patchy. Too often there has been some reason to feel the olympic ideal has been tarnished and this time I feel this threat more than ever.

China has stated its intent to top the medal table. They have mobilized the entire resources of the state at every level to achieve that end. We haven't seen such overt and single minded projection of nationalistic ends since the east / west rivalries during the cold war. I have no more confidence that the methods of the Chinese will be any more legal than those of the GDR, USSR or even the USA were back then. Similarly, I expect them to go undetected at this stage, but the true horror of their methods to trickle out in 20 to 30 years time when a more open society has evolved.

Until then I shall not be cheering any of the Chinese winners that will appear from nowhere to dominate every sport this summer.

Top Bottom