The 'P' fairy struck - how are you supposed to get the tyre back on

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Tonight I needed to pick up some work materials from less than half a mile away ... so empty my panniers (COMPLETELY!!!), and go to my friends, have a cup of coffee, and out of the house to find the tyre flat and a drawing pin in it (and pump on the floor at home!!). So I pushed the bike home (does it do the tyre harm pushing the bike when its completely flat?), and then attempted to fix the puncture myself.
Get the manual out - to read the instructions - stumble at the first block... I can't release the quick release lever... ;) OK get hubby to just do that... then I managed to locate and fix the hole reasonably fast - though getting filthy from the muck on my wheels and spokes.

Then the really hard bit ... trying to get the tyre - Marathon one - back on ... I couldn't do the last 8 inches ... I had to get hubby to do it again:blush::smile:. Is there a knack for getting the tyre back on (other than developing some more muscles)? ;) I don't think I would try doing it beside the road as it would be a waste of time if I can't get the tyre back on.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Hi summerdays...you need strong thumbs OR one of these beauties:
http://www.bikeplus.co.uk/cgi-bin/quikstore.pl?product=TYS42&and=1
A VAR tyre lever.
Technique also plays its part, practice at home makes life on the road easier.
Always carry a spare tube and know how to fit it.
I had a visit tonight as well, in Oxford at 2200 hrs, 6 miles from home. 10 mins to change the tube, home at last!

bonj2

get the end of the tyre lever between the tyre and the rim on the bit that's already on, and then slide it towards the bit that isn't on, thus pushing it on.
Hold another one in the same position on the other side while you do this to stop the bit that's off simply moving round.
When there's only about 4 to 6 inches left, leave the two that are in wedged between the tyre and the rim and try to semi-hold them (this is where you have to improvise an extra pair of hands, like for instance gently rest your wrists against them to stop flying out) while you use a third lever to lever the last bit on, from under the edge of the bit of tyre that isn't on. Don't do the third one right in the middle of the bit that isn't on (unless it's only say 2 inches) otherwise you won't get enough leverage - you ideally only want to be levering where the edge of the bead is no more than say half an inch inbound of the outermost point of the rim.
Oh, and don't use metal tyre levers.
HTH...

cyclebum

Hi summerdays, I had the same problem on saturday morning and ended up taking the wheel down to Halfords for assistance as my hubby was away. I felt a bit of an idiot ;) until it became obvious that the guy there was struggling too:biggrin:

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
Thanks - hopefully I won't have to use any of those tips in the near future!!! The tyre seems to have survived all the glass that the Bristol recycling lot leave for it.

frog

Hi Summerdays, I read the OP as far as 'Marathon' and then said 'Ahhhhh', as did a lot of us Marathon owners. They are a tough tyre, but a real bugger to get on and off.

I'm surprised you had a drawing pin puncture one as that is the very object they use in their advertising blurb to demonstrate their resistance to punctures ;)

With a Marathon tyre you need to think about the opposite side of the wheel to where you're actually putting the tyre on. Make sure the bead is tucked at the absolute bottom of the rim all the way around the bit that is on the wheel. It doesn't look much but it does make the world of difference. Apart from that a VAR tyre leave is the best tool to get.

Don't try to put a Marathon on with a Speedlever. It will break and you'll loose a couple of finger ends in the spokes into the bargin ;)

Withnail

Hi summerdays (and indeed everyone - this is my first post on CC), I was going to post pretty much exactly the same question!

Yesterday I went on the longest ride I've done so far on my new (first!) road bike - at exactly the point where I was furthest away from home I got my first puncture. It must have taken me twenty minutes and lots of swearing to get the tyre back on - it was the most knackering thing I did all day - fingers are still smarting a bit now!

So I've learnt the hard way that buying decent tyre levers and practicing at home is time and money well spent!

OP
OP
summerdays

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I haven't got the Marathon Plus ... just the next one down ... cos I had heard they were hard to get back on, if it becomes a regular occurance then I may have to think about the Plus... but this was the first time in a year of cycling.
Will the Var lever work with tyres that are 26 x 1.5 (just gone out to read what they say on the tyre) and will any of the bike shops in Bristol be likely to stock them or is it a product that is only available mail order?
Welcome Withnail - it is a friendly helpful bunch on here:biggrin:.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
vittoria rubinos are also a bugger to put back on, but seem very p fairy resistant, so it's a bit of a trade off i suppose.

Types of tyre vary enormously. At one end of the spectrum are some MTB tyres which are a doddle. At the other end, the very hard 23mm 700 puncture resistant ones are extremely difficult. I use a Bontrager tyre that is an absolute swine. It will actually cause tyre levers to break and I usually use plastic ones to pinion it and a couple of metal ones to do the levering.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
alecstilleyedye said:
vittoria rubinos are also a bugger to put back on, but seem very p fairy resistant, so it's a bit of a trade off i suppose.

Seconded. I have a pair of these on Campag. Shirroco wheels. I have broken two sets of levers attempting to remove them. It's a bit easier putting them back on though:wacko:

buggi

Bird Saviour
nip down to your LBS and ask them which set of tyres best go with your rims. some rims are deeper and therefore certain tyres are harder to get off. my LBS fitted me with some specialized tyres once because they were a better rim/tyre combination for my lady fingers.

Top Bottom