The pallaver of downloaded movies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mustang1

mustang1

Legendary Member
Do you need to switch off the wi-fi? It's not like it's got a heating element or will be incurring additional costs whilst it's switched on, so just leave it switched on:okay:

I stuck to dodgy torrents because a; I'm a hardened criminal, b; i didn't like the 30 day limit imposed by the bbc iplayer, and c; streaming always started buffering at some point or another.

A lot of us will very rarely want to watch anything when away from home, except possibly in the evenings on business trips - when we probably will have a laptop, and a TV available in the hotel room.
Yeah I download to iPad and watch a movie when I'm out and about and have a spare 20 minutes parked up not doing anything.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Do you need to switch off the wi-fi?

That’s assumes there is Wi-Fi where they are going to watch the movie.

rualexander

Legendary Member
Of course.

But the post of yours I was responding to just appeared to assume that he must want to watch stuff. I was just pointing out that not everybody does.
This thread is literally about someone who wants to watch stuff offline.

keithmac

Guru
It's amazing how poor DVD's look after you get used to modern HD and 4k content.

Even YouTube hosts 4k content.

Shame really as it's ruined my Bourne and Matrix trilogies.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Ermmm...you do realise that DVD is not the "physical thing" - it's a digital recording. Just checking. Oh, and DVD is pants when you compare it to Blue Ray. (Other HD systems (4K) are available)...but if you want to stick to PAL 625 lines at 50 Hertz, then feel free to do so...May your viewing be fuzzy, and your colours be phase shifted!
im colour blind and need glasses i cant tell the difference :smile:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I like streaming services, but the thing you want isn't always available in your subscription.

Example being 'Fortitude' which Amazon were offering for £2.49 per episode or £14.99 for a series, whilst I could buy a bluray of the series for under £4 off ebay (including delivery).

In that instance, bluray seemed the far better option, plus I can gift it to someone once I've seen it.
Am very disconcerted by the assertion that digital disks aren't real!

Edit - it arrived yesterday so I watched the first few episodes last night. Fab!

yello

Tbh, I'm not sure I understand the question! I've never experienced playing a download that requires a internet connection. It sounds like a contradiction to me!

I use a debrid service and don't need to download because I have a decent enough connection to stream (SD is enough for me, or 720 if I must) BUT I have downloaded stuff and have never needed a web connection to play the download.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Tbh, I'm not sure I understand the question! I've never experienced playing a download that requires a internet connection. It sounds like a contradiction to me!
Yes, although of course someone could buy or select a digital copy of something and be happily watching it while connected to a network, (i.e. it's streamed) but they might not necessarily have downloaded it to their device. Some people might think they have, I've even done it myself on occasion. On some subscriptions and / or devices you may have to add that media to your "watch offline" lists. I've had to do that with a few. And downloads can expire, I've got a good few shows downloaded on my kindle which I can't watch offline until I renew the download.

No news from the OP yet but I suspect a delete of the app and a reinstall will fix his issue.

yello

someone could buy or select a digital copy of something and be happily watching it while connected to a network, (i.e. it's streamed) but they might not necessarily have downloaded it to their device. Some people might think they have, I've even done it myself on occasion.
Yes, I guess the OP just used the word 'downloaded' differently to my understanding.

I can see that you might buy and download a 'token' (digital copy, whatever) from a subscription service but not download the actual film/tv show/whatever itself - that's actually streamed when you come to watch it. My bad - I don't use such services so tbh, as it's not in my sphere of experience, I didn't think of that.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
It's amazing how poor DVD's look after you get used to modern HD and 4k content.

Even YouTube hosts 4k content.

Shame really as it's ruined my Bourne and Matrix trilogies.
I refused to get suckered in to the whole upgrade to Blu-ray scam. I wasn't too long ago my VHS cassettes were telling me to upgrade to DVD because VHS is officially crap, then ten years later my DVD discs are telling me to upgrade to Blu-ray because DVD is officially crap, and I'm sure they'd recycled the same fake image comparison they'd used for VHS ten year's previously :rolleyes:

Ps... your Bourne and Matrix trilogies were always sh!t :whistle:

keithmac

Guru
I refused to get suckered in to the whole upgrade to Blu-ray scam. I wasn't too long ago my VHS cassettes were telling me to upgrade to DVD because VHS is officially crap, then ten years later my DVD discs are telling me to upgrade to Blu-ray because DVD is officially crap, and I'm sure they'd recycled the same fake image comparison they'd used for VHS ten year's previously :rolleyes:

Ps... your Bourne and Matrix trilogies were always sh!t :whistle:

You may benefit from a trip to the opticians if you can't tell the difference between DVD and HD/4k content :okay:

Top Bottom