The pallaver of downloaded movies

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mustang1

Guru
I download a movie (for example on Google play) to watch it offline. Perhaps when I watch it, there WONT BE AN INTERNET CONNECTION and THATS WHY I DOWNLOADED IT.

So I start playing the movie and it say an internet connection is required, probably to verify some license or something. Aha, I activate WiFi and soon the movie is playing. I switch off the WiFi and a few minutes later, it once again informs me there is no internet connections.

The stupid pos.

Yet another reason why tech really annoys me. I know it's probably the movie studios who want to continuously check for licenses, and I've always watched movies that have been fully paid up but I'm beginning to think there is a reason to go to pirate movies, and it's not because I don't want to pay for them, but because I don't want the hassle of silly license requirements.

I think there is a sizeable minority of otherwise tech-savvy adults who don't fully understand what "downloading" means.
Another example is if I enquire about "mp3 downloads": I am often referred to an app (that downloads some proprietary format), or something that allows me to STREAM the content. NOT THE SAME THING GUYS!!!
<sigh>

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I download a movie (for example on Google play) to watch it offline. Perhaps when I watch it, there WONT BE AN INTERNET CONNECTION and THATS WHY I DOWNLOADED IT.

So I start playing the movie and it say an internet connection is required, probably to verify some license or something. Aha, I activate WiFi and soon the movie is playing. I switch off the WiFi and a few minutes later, it once again informs me there is no internet connections.

The stupid pos.

Yet another reason why tech really annoys me. I know it's probably the movie studios who want to continuously check for licenses, and I've always watched movies that have been fully paid up but I'm beginning to think there is a reason to go to pirate movies, and it's not because I don't want to pay for them, but because I don't want the hassle of silly license requirements.
Do you need to switch off the wi-fi? It's not like it's got a heating element or will be incurring additional costs whilst it's switched on, so just leave it switched on:okay:

I stuck to dodgy torrents because a; I'm a hardened criminal, b; i didn't like the 30 day limit imposed by the bbc iplayer, and c; streaming always started buffering at some point or another.

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
I didn't like the 30 day limit imposed by the bbc iplayer
Me neither, so I use get_iPlayer.

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
DVD every time. Never would download music or movie. The modern tech sucks the soul out of having bookshelves, records, CD's. Give the physical thing every time.
Ermmm...you do realise that DVD is not the "physical thing" - it's a digital recording. Just checking. Oh, and DVD is pants when you compare it to Blue Ray. (Other HD systems (4K) are available)...but if you want to stick to PAL 625 lines at 50 Hertz, then feel free to do so...May your viewing be fuzzy, and your colours be phase shifted!

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Ermmm...you do realise that DVD is not the "physical thing" - it's a digital recording. Just checking. Oh, and DVD is pants when you compare it to Blue Ray. (Other HD systems (4K) are available)...but if you want to stick to PAL 625 lines at 50 Hertz, then feel free to do so...May your viewing be fuzzy, and your colours be phase shifted!
DVD is about as physical as a vinyl record... it's stuff printed onto stuff. No point getting all precious about it :angel:

rualexander

Legendary Member
DVD every time. Never would download music or movie. The modern tech sucks the soul out of having bookshelves, records, CD's. Give the physical thing every time.
You'd have difficulty playing a dvd on your phone or tablet though.

Top Bottom