The pathetic debacle that is Christmas shopping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bigtallfatbloke

...dont you just despise it?? I do. All the expectation, the hype, the ripp off prices, the couldnt give a toss sales assisitants, the felling of total despair as you enter the shopping centre...I dread it...despise it....and today was the day I have dreaded all year....it didnt let me down either, it was worse than ever, hoards of chavs, lonely lost and confused husbands, shops who lure you in and keep you there by hiding the exits...bloody madness I tell you, it's insane. But i musn't be upset that i didnt find a single pressie because tomorrow I get to go to an even bigger hell hole centre and try again...yip...bloody....yee:sad:

Tra-la-la-la-lar lar-lar-la-lee

This could be the beginnings of an album btfb.

The anticipation, the event, the lament, the deflation, the rise of optimism and the New old Year.
Good luck in Lakeside :biggrin: - or would that be a 'bridge too far'?

Have yourself a chavvy chavvy christmas - and don't forget the Kate Moss perfume... xx(:smile:

:biggrin::thumbsup::biggrin::thumbsup::biggrin::thumbsup::angry::thumbsup::biggrin::thumbsup::angry::thumbsup::angry::thumbsup::angry::thumbsup::angry::thumbsup::angry::thumbsup::angry::thumbsup::angry::thumbsup::angry::thumbsup:

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
While I have absolutely no understanding for Americans who go on a gun toting rampage in schools and universities, I don't think any jury in the land would convict someone who flame throwered Tesco's having heard W**king In A Winter Wonderland piped through the PA for the 700th time since October.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Brock said:
Internet shopping hurrah!

Absolutely, no queues, no busy car parks, no carrying heavy, or large parcels. Easy to compare prices. Free delivery on some sites. Even when there isn't free delivery, the charges are less than the petrol, parking fees, and the cost of the things you buy which you did not need.

Today, I did go shopping, I went to a furniture shop today, only me and two other customers :biggrin:, A very pleasant assistant :biggrin: helped me to measure the co**ee table, oops coffee table (not in Tea? now) that I might buy in the sale in January. No pressure, no hassle. :biggrin:

sheddy

Legendary Member
The trick is to buy 2nd hand stuff in good condition over the year from ebay, junk shops, charity shops etc. Ok, they might go straight in the bin come January but at least you know they've had a bit of life beforehand.
However I do try to wait till Dec before buying Oxfam chocolate.

Did they say 4 million people are still paying for last Christmas. If you haven't got it, don't spend it.

Cathryn

Legendary Member
I wouldn't be in a shopping centre tomorrow if you paid me. I generally try to get all my shopping done for the 1st Dec except maybe the odd little thing so I don't stress and can enjoy December for what it's really for instead of panicking. So I get to wander round town,try and listen to the carols and see my breath in the cold air and gaze at the lights, and not be part of the fray. I love it. It's worth all the grief people give me for being slightly ridiculously over organised!

Melvil

I've got a little dilemma as regards xmas shopping - I've bought my nearest and dearest a fairly 'big' present but it's tradition in her family (and mine) to give a fair number of small presents, so really I should get her some small things as well but, well, I'm not sure I'll be able to face the crowds without going postal! Any suggestions on small present ideas so I can complete my shopping mission without insanity ensuing??

Brock

Melvil said:
I've got a little dilemma as regards xmas shopping - I've bought my nearest and dearest a fairly 'big' present but it's tradition in her family (and mine) to give a fair number of small presents, so really I should get her some small things as well but, well, I'm not sure I'll be able to face the crowds without going postal! Any suggestions on small present ideas so I can complete my shopping mission without insanity ensuing??

Perfume?
Earings?
How about some really nice foody treats like a pot of caviar with some suitable crackers, some nice bath oliver biscuits or something?
Socks?

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Bigtallfatbloke, I don't suppose when you started your cycling this year, that you immediately went out and did 25 miles did you? So I was thinking, in the bath just now, (and I am now out of the bath and dressed :biggrin:) that you would not just jump into internet shopping all in one go. I know it is far too late for this year,:biggrin: but if I suggest some of the sites I have done my shopping at, you could try them when it comes round to peep's birthdays in 2008, and then be all set up for this time next year.

colinprior.co.uk Lovely large calendars and books. lovely website, world landscapes, Scottish landscapes etc etc.

RNLI tshirts, cuddly ships cats, (yes, one for me please)

Ocado, (aka rosewaits) wines, chocs, luxury biccies etc.

I typed in about 8 sites that I used, but this might have looked like an advert. If you would like some more ideas like this, I could pm you the details.

I whole-heartedly agree it is a debacle, which I will no longer be part of, so I take the (IMO) much easier option.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
yenrod said:
You can do my shopping next year Speich ! :blush:

Well, that is such a generous offer, I am over-whelmed.

I did not mention the presents I bought myself:ohmy:- very large box of Maltesers, large (ish) box of excellent dark choc brazils, cuddley Reindeer, (found looking bewildered, and lost in the local Oxfam shop). Some very lovely bath foam, shower gel, etc.

A c*r, second-hand, too embarassed on a cycling forum to mention what sort :biggrin:. *must wrap the key, and put it under the tree for a surprise on Christmas Day*.

Top Bottom