The Penalty For Jumping A Red Light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wester

Guru
What is the penalty/fine for going through a red traffic light if caught by a cop ? also what are your chances of being caught on CCTV doing the same and being identified ?

martint235

Dog on a bike
I assume it's a £60 fine the same as if a car did it. A driver would also expect 3 points on their license and I'm not sure if this would apply if you're also a car driver.

As to being identified on CCTV, it would have to be incontrovertible that it was you which may be difficult with no license plate. Also if you were wearing a helmet, shields etc this would make identification even more difficult.

Personally I think the fine should be £200 and the bike impounded and crushed but then I am completely opposed to RLJs ;)

Vikeonabike

CC Neighbourhood Police Constable
BentMikey said:
£30 FPN I believe.

+1 However I would go for £60 and 3 points. As cyclists we expect to be treated as vehicles on the road. As such, we should be liable to the same penalties. You can still be given 3 points even if you don't have a licence. A ghost license would be created for you by DVLA on conviction.

Crankarm

Guru
Vikeonabike said:
+1 However I would go for £60 and 3 points. As cyclists we expect to be treated as vehicles on the road. As such, we should be liable to the same penalties. You can still be given 3 points even if you don't have a licence. A ghost license would be created for you by DVLA on conviction.

Is that strictly lawful on DVLA's part? I seem to remember this question raisng it's head previously, possibly elsewhere, that such endorsement of a driving license is not actually lawful Vike if traffic offences are committed on a bicycle.

Notsoblue

I was caught once going west down Holland Park Avenue by a Police Officer and a PCO. They just advised me that it was a silly thing to be doing and that bikes need to stop at red. No fine. A bit further back up in Notting Hill theres a fairly major intersection where the police will quite regularly be on the look out for cyclists jumping red lights, and I've seen fines being written out there (I'm pretty sure its a £30 FPN). Tbh thats a silly junction to jump red at though, so I'm not surprised. I guess even the police seem to think that there is varying severity when it comes to RLJ.

Crankarm

Guru
Vikeonabike said:
Crank....You are correct sir, however it is what I would like to see happen...after all the bike is a vehicle and it is being used on the road!

I would like to see more resources put in to tackling the big problem. For a start the fine should be £100 -150 payable on the spot or within 24hrs which would go toward the cost of tackling the problem. RLJers are at best a menace what ever they are riding or driving and at worst a serious collision waiting to happen or will cause a collision. The only way to change the behaviour of these morons is to hit them in their wallets ;).

thomas

the tank engine
Vikeonabike said:

Though I don't RLJ I am against this type of thing (point on a licence). I just don't feel that it is a justified punishment.

Crankarm said:
I would like to see more resources put in to tackling the big problem. For a start the fine should be £100 -150 payable on the spot or within 24hrs which would go toward the cost of tackling the problem. RLJers are at best a menace what ever they are riding or driving and at worst a serious collision waiting to happen or will cause a collision. The only way to change the behaviour of these morons is to hit them in their wallets ;).

It wouldn't. People RLJ because they don't think they'll get caught and generally do not get caught. You could increase the fine, but people will still think they can get away with it.

Just look at mobile phone use while driving, it's exactly the same principle. Fines and punishments have increased....and so has usage.

In the scheme of things, cyclists jumping red lights is generally a nuisance rather than a danger, where as a car/van/etc is much more likely to be a danger than just a nuisance if they RLJ.

Like Mikey said...the penalty for a cyclist jumping a red light should not be as high as a motorist....I know which I'd rather have jump a red light when I was crossing the road!!

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I don't think we need different penalties. We need more enforcement - lots of Vikes out on the road doing traffic, and enforcing all the transgressions without fear or favour. That'll have a huge hit on road safety, and drive traffic deaths down considerably.

GrasB

Veteran
+1 most people see the crime being the getting caught for doing this sort of thing NOT the actual act its self. While more enforcement won't change that it will make people more worried about getting caught for it. Unfortunately I personally can't see the latitude in terms of officer number to manage stepping up the enforcement level.

Crankarm

Guru
GrasB said:
+1 most people see the crime being the getting caught for doing this sort of thing NOT the actual act its self. While more enforcement won't change that it will make people more worried about getting caught for it. Unfortunately I personally can't see the latitude in terms of officer number to manage stepping up the enforcement level.

If there was a financial incentive for the police as a revenue stream, every single junction would have a gang of traffic cops at them nabbing cyclists and motons alike. They could also nab peds who jay walk as well. They would also be targetting crims generally who use the roads, uninsured and untaxed vehicles, drivers using mobiles, no seat belters, etc. They wouldn't need to move. It would be like shooting fish in a barrel. Cyclists and motons would soon stop RLJing and start obeying the HC for the benefit of everyones' safety.

Top Bottom