The perfect Audax bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

burntoutbanger

Veteran
So I've done a few long rides (although not as long as some on here no doubt), several centuries and a 200km ride. My current bike of choice for these is a Raleigh Maverick Tour which is a Reynolds steel frame and fork, 30-39-50 triple chainset with a 32-12 eight speed cassette. It's shod with Marathon Original in a 32 width and sports cantilever brakes and full mudguards. Can I just say that while I love this bike I hate the cantilever brakes and am considering a mini v-brake conversion (which I believe has the same pull ratio). The bike is also perhaps a little heavy at around 13.5kg.

With this in mind and more for fun than anything serious, what do you serious Audaxers look for in a long distance bike?

For clarification I'm talking about distances of 200km+ and bearing in mind I'm in the South West a super low gear is a must.

To start I'd like to lose the cantilever brakes (but I understand they must be replaced with some kind of braking system). I also find on long rides I don't really need the 50 tooth big ring and would be perfectly happy with something like a 30-42 or 34-46 double.

Thoughts anyone?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Your post just reminded me that I got this email yesterday. Ticks the audax box, ticks the non-cantilever brakes box. Thing is it's not steel....
https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/CBPXH...272059557&mc_cid=1aadc2cb08&mc_eid=ed9aaf7abe

OP
OP
burntoutbanger

burntoutbanger

Veteran
Lovely bike and Titanium is a great frame material if I can believe the hype.

Although I like my bike's steel frame I'm not hung up on frame material as I think a good fit will make any frame material comfortable.

What I don't like about that bike is the 34-50 chainset. Maybe I just can't sustain enough power in my legs for 10 hours plus but I can't help thinking a 50 tooth big ring is too big for Audax?

I've been looking at this https://www.specialized.com/ni/en/mens-diverge-e5/p/129184?color=239514-129184

Edited, sorry for the wrong model.

Last edited:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
I agree on the gearing needed in the South West. I am new to the Audax scene and I’m very glad I opted for a triple 50/39/30 on an 11-32 cassette. It’s not fashionable, but what is in Audax? I have done a couple of lumpy 200 Audax events and down your way the Dartmoor Devil and Ghost. I am also managing an old kneee injury so I’m much happier keeping my spin light and fast rather than grinding my cartilage to paste.

My bike is a Spa Cycles Elan although I started out Audax on my Surly Disc Trucker. Heavy! I’ve seen just about every type of bike so far on these rides, so keep an open mind. If you are comfy, you’ll be happy.

OP
OP
burntoutbanger

burntoutbanger

Veteran
Agreed on comfy = happy. Not looking for a new bike per say but not not looking if you know what I mean. Just need to swap out those cantis on my current steed.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Audax bikes do vary a bit, although most are steel/titanium and triples are common. Diverge's are popular, but I'm not sure they're the best option for audaxes. Weight is important there and the Diverge is still a little heavy. A carbon fork is also sensible to remove road buzz that hits the hands after about 300k.

Mine's a home-built aluminium Ridgeback Platinum however with upgraded groupset and bars, which has been fine for both LEL and PBP plus lots of 300km+ rides. This was it set up in 'full trim' for LEL last year:

20664824_10159188389630437_764547204862257744_n-jpg.jpg

Last edited:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Lovely bike and Titanium is a great frame material if I can believe the hype.

Although I like my bike's steel frame I'm not hung up on frame material as I think a good fit will make any frame material comfortable.

What I don't like about that bike is the 34-50 chainset. Maybe I just can't sustain enough power in my legs for 10 hours plus but I can't help thinking a 50 tooth big ring is too big for Audax?

I've been looking at this https://www.specialized.com/ni/en/mens-diverge-e5/p/129184?color=239514-129184

Edited, sorry for the wrong model.
It does come with a 11 - 32 cassette, though, so there's plenty of gears below. I've never ever climbed onto a titanium bike but if it's as smooth as the hype, you may have a more relaxed ride, which might keep your legs fresher. The 50 x 11 combination would then be a kind of downhill novelty gear.....
You might even be able to get them to put a GXP Rival chainring on - 46/36 - for only a minor price increase....

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
What gearing do you use @DCLane?

I run an Ultegra 52/36 crank with 11-28 rear. I do struggle a bit on the really steep stuff after about 500km but can keep going. However, living in a hilly area might help there. A lighter set of wheels, with GP4000S tyres also helps as I'm not lugging an extra 1-2kg up every slope.

OP
OP
burntoutbanger

burntoutbanger

Veteran
I run an Ultegra 52/36 crank with 11-28 rear. I do struggle a bit on the really steep stuff after about 500km but can keep going. However, living in a hilly area might help there. A lighter set of wheels, with GP4000S tyres also helps as I'm not lugging an extra 1-2kg up every slope.

That's a big 'little gear', impressive!

Top Bottom