the phonetic alphabet

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Abitrary

This should be banged into childrens heads from pre-school. I know it, but get tripped up on the phone when actually using it, saying stuff like 'T for tango, M for.. mango'.

A girl at work today said 'E as in egg, er, L as in.. leg...'.

I'd accurately guess that this is costing the economy about £125,000 a minute due to confusion and wasteful giggling.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Cold callers get treated to the phonetic alphabet, as in Foxtrot Oscar Charlie.

byegad

Legendary Member
It's a NATO standard that is used by the Police as well as the Military, it replaced the old UK one from WWII. I had to learn it when I worked for a Mobile Phone company so you could repeat back spellings to customers when registering new phones. I agree it should be taught in schools but the numpties will always get it wrong.

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

Q always gets me... quango, queen...?

derall

Guru
Q - Quebec

There was a version went around back in the sixties or seventies - can only remember the start:
A for 'orses
B for Mutton
C for thHighlanders

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

Q is apparently Quebec, not quango.

It's bloody T for Tango that messes the whole thing up!!! Tango, mango, quango, banjo...

yello

Point of order Mr Speaker... that's not the phonetic alphabet you're all talking about. It's called the 'international radiotelephony spelling alphabet' and sometimes referred to as the 'NATO phonetic alphabet' or the 'military alphabet'. It is not, as any phonetician will tell you, in any way shape or form a 'phonetic alphabet'. Next you'll be telling me that IPA is a beer. Sheesh! :biggrin: :biggrin:

Top Bottom