The plane enthusiasts thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
That’s our answer then
IMG_4851.jpeg
 

gbb

Squire
Location
Peterborough
FYFY!

Meh... Now a De Haviland Comet airliner, THAT I'd LOVE to see!!

Theres a Coment on display at Duxford, among several other British built airliners.
One slight negative you couldn't climb inside them, now that would have been even better.

My son just texted me, the Duxford Flying Fortress (B17) just flew over the houses...I was out :sad:
Seen it at Duxford, lovely aircraft...photo was from 2023
20230826_184750.jpg

Gutted, I dont think they normally fly it more than locally to Duxford, missed opportunity
 

Mad Doug Biker

Mediocrity Manifest.
Location
Craggy Island
Theres a Coment on display at Duxford, among several other British built airliners.
One slight negative you couldn't climb inside them, now that would have been even better.
I have been inside the one at East Fortune (Near to Edinburgh). Dan Air's G - BDIX (snigger), I think it is.
My son just texted me, the Duxford Flying Fortress (B17) just flew over the houses...I was out :sad:
Seen it at Duxford, lovely aircraft...photo was from 2023
View attachment 818975
Gutted, I dont think they normally fly it more than locally to Duxford, missed opportunity
Acht well, you win some, to lose some. 🤷‍♂️

As for the Comet, I know the one called 'Canopus' is still in taxiing condition at Bruntingrhorpe, or at least it was.
 

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Location
Reading, obvs
Theres a Coment on display at Duxford, among several other British built airliners.
One slight negative you couldn't climb inside them, now that would have been even better.
I did manage to get a look around one, many years ago, but I had to be quick as they were about to board the passengers. ^_^

My abiding memory of it was how low the entry door was - you really had to duck your head when you were boarding.
 
  • Like
Reactions: gbb

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Location
Reading, obvs
As for the Comet, I know the one called 'Canopus' is still in taxiing condition at Bruntingrhorpe, or at least it was.
It probably is still taxiable, but sadly a change of ownership at Bruntingthorpe a few years ago put an end to any taxy runs.
 
Location
Widnes
Theres a Coment on display at Duxford, among several other British built airliners.
One slight negative you couldn't climb inside them, now that would have been even better.

My son just texted me, the Duxford Flying Fortress (B17) just flew over the houses...I was out :sad:
Seen it at Duxford, lovely aircraft...photo was from 2023
View attachment 818975
Gutted, I dont think they normally fly it more than locally to Duxford, missed opportunity

Reminds me of a conversation in a pub after the Fairford air show one year
I was with my Dad who was an armourer in WW2 - working on Stirling and (I think) Halifax

Apparently some time there ws an American ground crew readying a Fort for a mission while Dad's crew was doing the same for a Halifax

Naturally there was interest in each other's aircraft - and inevitable competition and banter (which I presume the Yanks lost!)

Dad's crew asked the Yanks what they could loads onto the Fort

they were shown x000 pounds of bombs lined up ready to load

Dad's lot pointed at their bomb and commented about how it was about 3x the American load
probably in different language!!

Weird think is that I found his squadron and found that they were always at Fairford and always on Stirling’s
but I clearly remember him talking about being in Norfolk and working on Halifax

must try tracing all that again
 
Theres a Coment on display at Duxford, among several other British built airliners.
One slight negative you couldn't climb inside them, now that would have been even better.

My son just texted me, the Duxford Flying Fortress (B17) just flew over the houses...I was out :sad:
Seen it at Duxford, lovely aircraft...photo was from 2023
View attachment 818975
Gutted, I dont think they normally fly it more than locally to Duxford, missed opportunity

Sally B was at Shuttleworth in June but I guess that still classes as local to Duxford
 
  • Like
Reactions: gbb
Top Bottom