The plane enthusiasts thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Drago

Legendary Member
And it looked so mean. Handley Page not only created a strategic nuclear bomber, they created one that really looked the part. The Darth Vader of nuke taxis.
Handley_Page_HP-80_Victor_K2_AN1103895.jpg

Houthakker

A Happy Wanderer
Yes I always thought it looked mean as well.

And it looked so mean. Handley Page not only created a strategic nuclear bomber, they created one that really looked the part. The Darth Vader of nuke taxis. View attachment 478972
Handley Page came up with some good designs over the years. Leading edge slats. Even the Hampden which seamed like an oddity came within the constraints of the Washington agreement yet could carry 4000lbs of bombs.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
IIRC the strategy changed from high altitude delivery of nukes to low level terrain following to avoid radar after Gary Powers was shot down with a SAM which surprised the hell out of the West. The Victor was unsuitable for this but the Vulcan was quite good at it due to wing loading. The Victors were retired to tankers whilst the Vulcans continued as low level bombers - hence the higher accident rate.

classic33

Leg End Member
And Valiants?

IIRC the strategy changed from high altitude delivery of nukes to low level terrain following to avoid radar after Gary Powers was shot down with a SAM which surprised the hell out of the West. The Victor was unsuitable for this but the Vulcan was quite good at it due to wing loading. The Victors were retired to tankers whilst the Vulcans continued as low level bombers - hence the higher accident rate.
The Vulcan had a higher accident rate even before the low level flying . One broke up in mid air at Sywell during an air display in 1958. One crashed on landing at Heathrow during a storm, pilot and co pilot ejected. I think one almost suffered the same fate in New Zealand except that the crew in the rear replaced the ejector seat safety pins.
Some Victors went on to do high altitude photographic and radar reconnaissance work .

Drago

Legendary Member
And Valiants?

The Valiant wasn't all that really. It was seen by the Government as a quick solution while the more radical V bombers were developed, and a safe fall back position in the event the Victor and Vulcan turned out to be crap. Fortunately they didn't, and the Valiant had a fairly short service life.

It's a shame the V bombers never got to nuke anyone. It's good now and again to remind the rest of the world not to mess with us. Nevertheless, inwouldn't have wanted to be an Argentinian conscript sat I a trench when the first of the Black Buck bombers arrived. The Vulcan sounds absolutely terrifying, like Satan himself is tearing through the atmosphere.

There are still parts of the Battle of Britain Air Day of September 1958 that I still remember.
I was small then. My dad took me on the crossbar saddle. My brother was much older so he rode his bike.
I remember that it was grey when we arrived and the first thing I saw and asked about was a Wind Sock!
I can remember looking into the cockpit of a Spitfire and then being sat way down low in there with loads of kids looking in . I didn't know then how privelidged I was !
Most of the day is a bit sketchy. I can remember that it had brightened up and it was sunny. I can remember a bright yellow Westland Dragonfly flying along the crowd line performing Air Sea Rescue roll. I can remember standing next to a huge silver Blackburn Beverley with my dad and brother.
It was whilst we were amongst the crowds watching the flying displays that my my brother repeated what he had just heard on the Tannoy. "The Vulcan won't be turning up as it had just crashed at another air display ! "
Things were treated so differently then ! The airshow carried on as if nothing had happened.

Top Bottom