The plane enthusiasts thread

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Spinney, 9 Jan 2016.

Tags:
  1. There are still parts of the Battle of Britain Air Day of September 1958 that I still remember.
    I was small then. My dad took me on the crossbar saddle. My brother was much older so he rode his bike.
    I remember that it was grey when we arrived and the first thing I saw and asked about was a Wind Sock!
    I can remember looking into the cockpit of a Spitfire and then being sat way down low in there with loads of kids looking in . I didn't know then how privelidged I was !
    Most of the day is a bit sketchy. I can remember that it had brightened up and it was sunny. I can remember a bright yellow Westland Dragonfly flying along the crowd line performing Air Sea Rescue roll. I can remember standing next to a huge silver Blackburn Beverley with my dad and brother.
    It was whilst we were amongst the crowds watching the flying displays that my my brother repeated what he had just heard on the Tannoy. "The Vulcan won't be turning up as it had just crashed at another air display ! "
    Things were treated so differently then ! The airshow carried on as if nothing had happened.

Drago and Mart44 like this.
  2. Mart44

Mart44 Well-Known Member

A Lancaster Bomber circling around (Farnborough Airshow).

d8sbyNS.jpg

3. Drago

Drago Flouncing Nobber

Good tip, thank you!

Last edited: 7 Aug 2019
    classic33, redflightuk and Illaveago like this.
  4. ozboz

ozboz Über Member

5. Drago

Drago Flouncing Nobber

100%! Very easy.

Chatting to Mrs D, I'm going to go to the Sywell Aviation Museum next week.

Illaveago likes this.
  6. Diogenes

Diogenes Opinions, schminions

7. Drago

Drago Flouncing Nobber

So any of you use apps or websites to log your sightings? Any recommendations?

8. Drago

Drago Flouncing Nobber

Sorry to be so needy - I'm sat at home, injured,unable to drive or cycle, desperately trying to keep myself occupied.

Does anyone listen to airband radio at all?

Bobby Mhor likes this.
  9. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

Did do, on final for the local airport and under the major route North.

Illaveago likes this.
  10. tribanjules

tribanjules Über Member

Glad I stumbled on this thread. Hooked myself and brother on freedar. I see not a single asset is up now as crabs don't do weekend.
    Living on bhx flight path I'm boring my family telling them what they can hear

Illaveago likes this.
  11. Bobby Mhor

Bobby Mhor Wasn't born to follow

Why not do Piaware through Flightaware website, set up your own radar thingy, check out their ‘How to’......

classic33 and Drago like this.
  12. Illaveago and classic33 like this.
  13. Drago

Drago Flouncing Nobber

My Sister, who I don't get along with terribly well. Well, anyway, my BiL is quite poorly and they need a bungalow. Chatting to my Dad last night and it seems my Sister has bought a bungalow...in Cranfield in sight of the runway. Neither myself of my Dad, who has his own Socata, are at all jealous.

Cranfield is an odd one, as well as being a regular airstrip also gets used for a lot of experimental aircraft, no doubt due to the proximity to the University and technology centre. A Burt Rutan Scaled Composites job was in there recently, and I wouldn't have minded seeing that.

So I now need to persuade Mrs D to buy a house near a small airfield or aerodrome.

Illaveago and classic33 like this.
  14. gbb

gbb Legendary Member

Stood at Porto De Mogan yesterday as a (I think) Airbus Super Puma flew over the harbour, low and hugging the coastline. Only maybe 100ft up, it was actually very quiet (compared to how you'd expect) It was seemingly effortless and serene considering the power, technology and forces involved in getting one up there .

Illaveago likes this.
  15. DaveReading

DaveReading Veteran

gbb likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice