The plane enthusiasts thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pplpilot

Guru
It looks like a Yak. They were quite aerobatic. I think they may have had them at the World Aerobatic Championshi

yea, Yak52. There was a chap at our flying club (ex Russian air force or whatever it was called back then,) aerobatics instructor took me for a 15 minute 'ride' I've never been so scared in all my life, I could hear the fuselage popping like a tin can, I had bruises on my collar bones where the harness had dug in. +5 -7 if i recall

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member
Blimey that takes me back a bit :smile:

I built this airfix kit back when I was much younger... Destiny Angel....

41Z9DGTCQ6L.jpg

Shaun

I made one of those. When I span it around, it appeared to have very little drag. I don't think it was aerodynamically stable. Then I found out the Angel Interceptor was not a real aircraft.

OP
OP
Spinney

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
So he is!

Who's taking the photo then?
Now that's a better question!
Looks like it might be something like a camera mounted on the side of the back-seater's helmet?
(And I did think, looking at that pic, that wearing gloves stops your white knuckles showing!)

Flock of gliders waiting for better weather
full.jpg

One of our Consultants, flies from the Club at the top of Sutton Bank, & has offered to take me up one day

One of my abiding memories of an air display at the then RAF Finningley years ago,that and a Vulcan scramble.^_^
I've seen something similar, maybe just 2 Vulcans though

Yes, although it's Beverley (named after the town just up the road from the factory where they were built).
I saw the sole surviving Beverley in Beverley at the Museum of Army Transport and was concerned for its welfare when the museum closed. It's now at Fort Paull near Hull
I've seen it there too, but my real attention was taken by such items as the ANTAR inside, & the Cuthbertson (Conversion) Land Rover

this one would have been impressive though
View attachment 116342

Surely more useful than the ship aircraft carriers we're building
S.H.I.E.L.D HeliCarrier??

I built this airfix kit back when I was much younger... Destiny Angel....

41Z9DGTCQ6L.jpg

Shaun

It must have impressed someone as a kid, he wrote a song with that title
(prefer their track 'Kung Fu' though)

TheDoctor

Europe Endless
I made one of those. When I span it around, it appeared to have very little drag. I don't think it was aerodynamically stable. Then I found out the Angel Interceptor was not a real aircraft.
Well, being unstable isn't a show-stopper with active fly by wire controls. The Typhoon would fall out of the sky if the avionics packed up. It's too unstable for an unaided pilot to fly!

OP
OP
Spinney

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Well, being unstable isn't a show-stopper with active fly by wire controls. The Typhoon would fall out of the sky if the avionics packed up. It's too unstable for an unaided pilot to fly!
I suspect they forgot to supply the FBW as part of the model kit!

A bit like the SR-71. This is the one that I saw at the Boeing Air Museum last year.

What appears to be a third engine is in fact the engine of a drone attached to the SR-71.

View attachment 116147
Probably the plane with the biggest wow factor ever. My mum knew the pilots quite well as they lodged with her friend when the flew out of RAF Mildenhall, I met them a few times but they would never tell me when "Blackbird" was flying. I saw it on the odd occasion but the best times were at the Mildenhall air show.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUNPUIzrKqs

No real favourite - tho we had B52s on detachment for a while - most impressive has to be Vulcans doing group scrambles - come in at 5am and sit - we would run round house taking down anything that might fall off mantlepieces et.al. - before rolling down runway and climbing steeply- on occasion two sets of three - SR-71 was a frequent visitor coming in late and taking off at dawn

Yellow Fang

Legendary Member

I have not made a Eurofighter Typhoon so have not been able to establish whether it is unstable. By the time it eventually came into service I was already middle-aged. I did make a WW2 Hawker Typhoon but I did not notice any tail flutter when I span it around.

Rasmus

Without a clever title
Nice thread, this :okay: Not sure I qualify as a plane "enthusiast", but I do fly around quite a bit for work purposes. Sunday will have the "pleasure" of 2x2.5 hours in an Embraer 195:sad:

Last two weeks spent in New York (got out just before the impending blizzard!), and had the chance to visit the Intrepid museum, home of G-BOAD. I gather it's quite a challenge to keep it looking nice exposed to the NY climate.
20160116_104601.jpg

Quite an impressive array of various other aircraft on display. I liked the couple of Polish MiG clones dressed up in North Vietnam paint.
20160116_114927.jpg

Brandane

Legendary Member
I will be flying with BA, and the sensible way would be Glasgow-Gatwick-Orlando. However they fly the Boring 777 on that route. I used to do regular flying back in my youth, and loved the original "jumbo jet", Boeing 747. BA seem to be phasing them out in favour of the new Airbus 380, so I saw that there was a flight option to go Glasgow-Heathrow-New York JFK- Orlando. The Heathrow-JFK leg is on one of these, so despite the inconvenience of an extra stop, that is the way I am going!

^^^^^ This is not looking like such a good idea after all! Hopefully the snow will have cleared by Tuesday :rolleyes:.

Top Bottom