The plane enthusiasts thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CharlesF

Guru
I have grateful memories of a Hawker Hunter saving our bacon.

Turning to the Blenheim, my uncle worked on the design and development of it, and later the Brabazon.

Attachments

• 3E35C554-C818-44D3-85E0-6DA5A4556B75.jpeg
    3E35C554-C818-44D3-85E0-6DA5A4556B75.jpeg
    75.1 KB · Views: 6

DaveReading

Don't suffer fools gladly (must try harder!)
Ahhh, then "that's the one" - It's a REAL Heinkel He.111 and not the early 1950's Spanish CASA version - (as they first thought !)
There's a rather confusing article about the aircraft's provenance here: https://www.keymilitary.com/article/casa-built-heinkel-kent-museum.

Other sources suggest it was one of the original Spanish licence-built examples (CASA 2.111A alias Heinkel 111H-16), with Junkers engines, later converted by the Spanish to a Merlin-engined 2.111B.

The article says the plan is to restore it to the original configuration with Jumo engines, but it doesn't look like they've got very far with that, judging by the OP's photo.

Hornchurch

Like most Axis hardware it is incredibly hard to find these days.

Yeah, some more so than others.

It was during my 2nd or 3rd ever visit to Hendon's RAF Museum....

I was mortified to find the Ju.87-D Stuka AND the Me.410 parked-up OUTSIDE the museum - (where the 'Fibreglass' replicas are, now)

That would be some 40-42 years ago now - Can't ever imagine that happening, today.

I was astounded to find, that in the 1970's - America had a flying Nakajima Ki-84 "Hayate" attending airshows.

One of the Yank lads (on another forum), put out a video of it being flown at the show - Astounding looking back.

IIRC, at the time, it WAS "the only one in existance" & got bought (out), by a rich Japanese businessman.

POST EDIT : I typed out the above "off the cuff" (memory alone), before reading this You Tube posting, afterwards....

I've got a few of these - Hasegawa kits, in 1/48th - Have always like the look of the "Hayate", hence the purchases.

BTW ; The sound (audio) is poorly dubbed, but am told, it's the real-deal 'Homare' engine - But grafted onto the video (sounded fake)

There's a fairly rare German Tank that I used to visit, at La Glieze, in Belgium, down near the Luxembourg border

I went there (on a 1,000cc Kawasaki) in May 1993, then again, I took my Son to see it, in July 2003, so basically a full-decade apart.

The elderly lady who ran the museum, bribed the 'scrappers' in the late 1940's (she was young, then), with a bottle of Cognac

Was told that Tamiya (kit corporation), had offered her a million-dollars for it (King Tiger '213') & that she turned them down (!!!!!!!)

Then ya look at Bruce Crompton, who sold a (slightly more common Panther), to Oz (museum), for a cool £14m quid.

The King Tiger at La Glieze (Dollinger's 213), stays ouside in all weathers, but, is obv's a well-known tourist attraction.

We were told (back in 1993, thru a translator), that inevitably, her main "crust" was Americans who'd served in "The Bulge" (& familes)

I've got some pix somewhere, of our May 1993 visit to the German 'SS' Panther at the small village of Grandmenil, another outdoor exhibit.

Last edited:

Hornchurch

Battle of Britain memorial.
View attachment 643566

Am VERY impressed with what appears to be a 'life-size' 1:1 rendition of the Ju.87-'B'

Was NOT there when I last visited the place, circa 2001 with the wife & kids - (whilst on holiday at St.Margaret-En-Cliffe)

My first & so-far "only" visit to Capel-Le-Ferne, I still loved it nonetheless - Beautiful name, special place, for sure.

The curator (back then), showed me a SUPERB weather-vane that they'd just had specially made, circa 2000/2001

Again, it featured another Ju.87-'B' out front, being chased & harried/harrassed by both a Hurricane & Spitfire.

They also had a copy of "Duel of Eagles" (Robert Taylor painting, print of), but like so many others, the Galland sig'n had faded.

To say that 'Stuka' in your photo' is "impressive" is an understatement !!!!!

I only wish it wuz there when I attended - Reminds me of those x 4 "Airfix 1/24th Stukas" that I've got put by, for retirement !!!!

59997_0.jpg

I even bought some 'Montex' canopy AND 'unit' masks for 'em - One has the "Scottie Dog" motif, near the cockpit-area (for it)

Makes me wonder (& hope), as to just how durable THAT 'Capel-Le-Ferne' monument is - But looks damn impressive, whatever !

Last edited:

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
20220507_133822.jpg

20220507_133710.jpg

Last edited:

gbb

Legendary Member
Here's another classic British jet the Canberra. These are slope gliders at the Lleyn Peninsula in Wales,
designed by an old soaring pal of mine Andy Blackburn who also built a very nice Jet Provost, the one time RAF jet trainer.

View attachment 658398

I used to love to see Canberras. For the life of me I cant remember where...probably RAF Wyton, dad served on quite a few airbases when we were kids so planes were everywhere in our childhood.
Former holder of the world record for alttude attained by an aircraft.

CharlesF

Guru
Canberras - Rhodesian Airforce. Impressive when used in anger and you’re a Troopie on the ground and near the strike point.

Also Hunters used in the same role, as impressive.

Top Bottom