The plane enthusiasts thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Badger_Boom

Über Member
WW 2 fighter and test pilot Johnny Kent described how he luckily escaped death when another pilot took up a Typhoon instead of him . It was last seen plunging vertically into the ground . They thought that the pilot had succumbed to exhaust fumes .

A similar incident is described by Robert Stanford-Tuck. He claimed that the culprit was some equipment that had been fitted to monitor the level of noxious gases getting into the cockpit - it somehow sucked even more in than normal.

gbb

Legendary Member

View: https://youtu.be/_m6SEKNgxno

Rather enlightening. It makes you realise not much, if anything of an aircrafts design or its outcomes are chance.
Designed to gain altitude fast, a basic interceptor requirement, wing design, its need to encompass armaments, structural and handling requirements etc etc etc. You can imagine when a plane fails to meet up to design and expectation, its because an element was overlooked, sometimes not even foreseen and that can forever limit its future development.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Here's a teaser for you.This rather lovely model came up on my PSS Slope soaring page on Facebook. Anyone have any idea what it's a model of?

Attachments

• IMG_20221025_162046.jpg
    IMG_20221025_162046.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

a.twiddler

Veteran
It looks like a Saunders Roe SRA/1, a prototype flying boat jet fighter from the post war era. It never went into production, though several prototypes were built.

It sounds like a fantasy now, but before Japan entered WWII they had several successful conversions of piston engined fighters to seaplanes designed to operate from creeks and inlets in the event that they were unable to capture airfields as they advanced. As it happened the Japanese didn't develop their designs any further as they overran airfields in their unexpectedly swift advance in such places as Malaya.

Perhaps the thinking behind the SRA/1 was similar, for operation in undeveloped countries with airfields unsuitable for jet fighters of the day.

Is this a flying model? Whoever built it would have had to overcome a few difficulties to make it able to operate from water.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Nice guess. This is a Jet Provost. My old mate Andy Blackburn make a very nice slope model, I think plans are still available.

Attachments

• IMG_20221025_175201.jpg
    IMG_20221025_175201.jpg
    278.4 KB · Views: 1

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Yes, give it a go @Jameshow you'll really enjoy it. I find it very relaxing. No motor no smelly fuel. You can either build from a plan or a kit.
If you haven't flown before this is a good starter, Middle Phase by Chris Foss.

http://chrisfoss.co.uk/middle-phase/4538950469/

The great thing about it's it's a rudder/elevator but as you progress you can buy an aileron wing for it.

Remember the wind needs to blown directly onto the face of the slope.

Attachments

• chris-foss-phase-2-c_1.jpg
    chris-foss-phase-2-c_1.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 0

Jameshow

Veteran
Yes, give it a go @Jameshow you'll really enjoy it. I find it very relaxing. No motor no smelly fuel. You can either build from a plan or a kit.
If you haven't flown before this is a good starter, Middle Phase by Chris Foss.

http://chrisfoss.co.uk/middle-phase/4538950469/

The great thing about it's it's a rudder/elevator but as you progress you can buy an aileron wing for it.

Remember the wind needs to blown directly onto the face of the slope.

That's been around for years!

Yes it's a westerly facing slope so good more often than not!

Along with the powered trainer wotsit? Was it called?!

Top Bottom