The plane enthusiasts thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jameshow

Veteran
That's the one!

a.twiddler

Veteran
From an environmental point of view, a slope soaring glider with radio control must give the operator the same virtuous feeling as radio control model yachting. No fuel burnt, long lasting batteries, silent operation.

I don't know what name Saunders Roe were planning to give the S.R.A/1 if it went into production but I believe it was known colloquially as the "Sea squirt". It's certainly a lugubrious looking thing from the front, would make an interesting display model.

That Buccaneer must need a good headwind to get airborne with those stubby wings. An awful lot of years ago in my RAF days when I worked on them I thought they wouldn't glide far in the event of engine failure. ("What's a Buccaneer?" "It's the thing at the side of yer buccan 'ead, mate").

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Last edited:

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Bear in mind, development of the Spit began in 1936 where biplanes still ruled the air, the Spitfire itself a huge leap in design. The Mustang started development something like 4 years later, that's eons in technological terms.
As an example of that, the Mustang was scarcely on the drawing board when the Spitfires were engaging the Luftwaffe in the Battle of Britain.
Another example of technological advances vs time, my dad, airframe fitter from about 1949 said to me one day (talking about his time with aircraft) , advances come along so fast, it was bewildering, you were constantly challenged by new aircraft, technology etc etc.
1667081293265.png

Lancaster first flight 1941
Vulcan first flight 1952

11 years difference!

Cycleops

Legendary Member
...and how long it can extend into the future. So can also hit a ceiling. The first B52 flight was also in 1952 but with a re engine program starting now the expected service life will approach 100 years.

Reactions: gbb
Stuck in a traffic jam north of Mildenhall, I got buzzed by a low flying Osprey tilt-rotor doing low level circuits in helo mode. Never seen one before

See them all the time but I do live under main flight path in to Mildenhall;get them, tankers,Galaxies,Globemasters and other odd visitors like Navy Hornets flying over.

Also get F-15's and F-35's from Lakenheath.

From an environmental point of view, a slope soaring glider with radio control must give the operator the same virtuous feeling as radio control model yachting. No fuel burnt, long lasting batteries, silent operation.

I don't know what name Saunders Roe were planning to give the S.R.A/1 if it went into production but I believe it was known colloquially as the "Sea squirt". It's certainly a lugubrious looking thing from the front, would make an interesting display model.

That Buccaneer must need a good headwind to get airborne with those stubby wings. An awful lot of years ago in my RAF days when I worked on them I thought they wouldn't glide far in the event of engine failure. ("What's a Buccaneer?" "It's the thing at the side of yer buccan 'ead, mate").

I think they had blown flaps . The flying surfaces were too small for the plane . I think the Lockheed Starfighter also used it .

DRM

Guru
Stuck in a traffic jam north of Mildenhall, I got buzzed by a low flying Osprey tilt-rotor doing low level circuits in helo mode. Never seen one before.

A1(M) last Monday near Catterick, 2x Lynx and a Chinook in formation low flying in a South Easterly direction, just as Fortunate Son by Creedance Clearwater Revival came on the radio, was like being in a war film complete with soundtrack!

Top Bottom