The plane enthusiasts thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Spinney

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I like the fact that the interval between starting the two threads is comparable to the interval between the invention of the subjects.
What, nearly a century? Didn't think cyclechat had been going that long!
(I'm going on Stephenson in 1815 and the Wrights in 1903 - which kind of plane are you thinking of?)

D

Deleted member 23692

IMO it's not that big an achievement considering she's had all the support the modern world provide - comms, nav etc.

However it does show what a great achievement Amy Johnson's original solo flight was back in 1930

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Bummer

_83621870_vulcan_jamiehunter.jpg

Oooops - sorry - Bomber

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
lightning.jpg

Brandane

Legendary Member
Anorak alert! I am going to Orlando for a couple of weeks later this month to find some much needed :sun:.

I will be flying with BA, and the sensible way would be Glasgow-Gatwick-Orlando. However they fly the Boring 777 on that route. I used to do regular flying back in my youth, and loved the original "jumbo jet", Boeing 747. BA seem to be phasing them out in favour of the new Airbus 380, so I saw that there was a flight option to go Glasgow-Heathrow-New York JFK- Orlando. The Heathrow-JFK leg is on one of these, so despite the inconvenience of an extra stop, that is the way I am going! The 747 is a thing of beauty, unlike the more modern replacements, and chances to fly on them are becoming rare.

3399287264_9b8b535a8f_b.jpg

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
I fly fairly regularly to the Scottish Islands and it's usually in one of these -

Flybe-Loganair-340-G-LGNF-02-S.jpg

Noisy, seriously noisy (especially in row 4, where I spent most of one flight figuring out where the propeller would slice through my leg if it fell off). Uncomfortable (I think the planes are 30 years old and there's very little padding left in the seats) and the temperature fluctuates between chilly and roasting several times per flight - I'm sure the driver just opens a window for air.
IMAG0821.jpg

On the plus side, you often get the plane virtually to yourself -

Bummer

_83621870_vulcan_jamiehunter.jpg

Oooops - sorry - Bomber

Digressing somewhat, I was watching the first episode of 'Super-Truckers' on the (cable TV channel) 'Quest', & in the opening sequence it showed a Vulcan, so exactly what connection there will be to it, in a forthcoming episode, I have no idea???

Does anyone remember seeing the sad, & forlorn Lightning, at the side of the A1, at Balderton(?) that was there for a few years, getting more and more derelict/vandalised??

My photos are from April 2005, with one of my old Discoverys in front of it

It's gone altogether now

http://www.thunder-and-lightnings.co.uk/lightning/survivor.php?id=65
Aircraft. English Electric Lightning. XN728. 1.JPG Aircraft. English Electric Lightning. XN728. 2.JPG Aircraft. English Electric Lightning. XN728. 3.JPG

Top Bottom