The Polish guy at work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Apparently the language came from Finland.
Well, not really, but both languages are part of the same language 'family' (Finno-Ugric)

Does anyone else find they alter their English when speaking to them? For example if I'm going for a pint after work I'll say something like "I go for drink later, you come". Which is ridiculous as it makes me sound stupid and enforces poor English in my colleagues. Conversely if I say "I'm off for a swift one when we're done " they wouldn't pick up the slang.

Absolutely. I spend a lot of time talking with people who don't have English as a first language. Over the years I've developed a form of English that makes life easier for them. Keeping everything in the present tense, no unnecessary contractions, no slang. It's very interesting when someone joins a meeting who isn't used to talking to non-native English speakers...they just talk to them as they would to me. Confusion reigns. I find myself having to re-explain what is being said, in my weird, clunky "foreign English"

"Yesterday I went to the pub and had a couple of beers"....would become "Yesterday I go to the bar and I drink several beers"

It makes more sense to use correct grammar, especially if they are also taking lessons/studying English in their spare time. By 'simplifying' it, you're asking them to understand an incorrect version of the language they are trying to learn correctly. However, it's a natural thing for native speakers to do. (I've been training language teachers for over 30 years btw :smile: which is where my viewpoint comes from)

Globalti

Legendary Member
Same here, work in electronics production- often on calls with Korea, China, Phillipines.

Also our nearest manufacturing plant is in Hungary so I go there occasionally, with my phrasebook (otherwise would be even trickier to get a vegetarian meal)

Don't suppose you're involved with that mahoosive TV factory Jasz-Plast KFT, in Jaszbereny? I went there in 2011.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Don't suppose you're involved with that mahoosive TV factory Jasz-Plast KFT, in Jaszbereny? I went there in 2011.

Not personally, don't know we have any business there- probably do. I'm in R&D so I tend to only visit customers for specific projects rather than whenever there's an issue.

I learnt French and ancient Greek at school, even a bit of Latin until I could drop it at the start of GCSEs. Almost all forgotten now unfortunately. I think I can read French still if I had to.

My partner has a few languages under her belt to a very fluent level in some. I'm completely jealous of that skill but haven't the patience to learn now.

Despite my inadequacies in foreign languages I try to teach my young son as much as I can. I've picked up some phrases and numbers in a few languages and try to pass them on.

My proudest moment last year was to be asked by a parent at his friend's party if my son was counting to ten for the game of hide she seek in French. He was and could count further than 10 in French if required. He was not long turning 4 years old.

It's very, very important to teach our kids foreign languages. Even if only a few phrases or words. It goes beyond communication to acceptance of others IMHO. So we've taught him words in about 10 foreign languages including Welsh so far.

Sorry off topic.

I believe Lancaster has a very old polish community dating from before WWII. It's why we got a big influx when they got free travel and work around Europe. Nice ppl but they're no more or less hard working than the native Brits. Don't kid yourself on that. At our work, at least, they worked hard for 13 months then slackened off. The English didn't work as hard as them so they decided after a year to copy the English. Only thing is they were actually more clever about it. They didn't get caught out as often but the work levels were no different than the English. Until overtime was brought up. Then they tried to get noticed looking hard working so they got the OT. Money talks with them more than with our natives.

I still like polish ppl a lot. Learnt a good hangover cure. Involves hot coffee cooled on a bowl of water under the tap then vodka added. Served in a real a glass and drunk quickly. Not sure if that's a hangover cure or just a way to get drunk again so you couldn't feel the hangover.

I'm also a foul mouthed polish speaker. I can swear fluently but don't know many polite words apart from a few words like fat, thin, stupid that can fit with bad words. What I can tell you to do to your mother I'd be embarrassed to say in English.:blush:

Absolutely. I spend a lot of time talking with people who don't have English as a first language. Over the years I've developed a form of English that makes life easier for them. Keeping everything in the present tense, no unnecessary contractions, no slang. It's very interesting when someone joins a meeting who isn't used to talking to non-native English speakers...they just talk to them as they would to me. Confusion reigns. I find myself having to re-explain what is being said, in my weird, clunky "foreign English"

"Yesterday I went to the pub and had a couple of beers"....would become "Yesterday I go to the bar and I drink several beers"
The bloke who sits opposite me at work has French customers; he seems to think it helps if he speaks like René off 'Allo 'Allo

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Well, not really, but both languages are part of the same language 'family' (Finno-Ugric)

It makes more sense to use correct grammar, especially if they are also taking lessons/studying English in their spare time. By 'simplifying' it, you're asking them to understand an incorrect version of the language they are trying to learn correctly. However, it's a natural thing for native speakers to do. (I've been training language teachers for over 30 years btw :smile: which is where my viewpoint comes from)

I get where you're coming from. However, these interactions are not with people learning English, their level is where they are at. It's all about either social chit chat over dinner or specific business meetings. Either way, dumbing down the English makes it easier for them to understand me and keeps the conversation flowing

Globalti

Legendary Member
A couple of things I discovered while working in France:

1 - French women are suckers for an English accent. Really! So when trying to get past a secretary to make an appointment to see the boss it always seemed to help if you turned on a little bit of the "helpless Englishman abroad". Bizarre but true.

2 - When I used to speak to my French girlfriend she sometimes used to look blankly at me and do a Gallic shrug. If I repeated myself in a stupid Antoine de Caunes accent she would understand immediately. Also bizarre but true.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
A couple of things I discovered while working in France:

1 - French women are suckers for an English accent. Really! So when trying to get past a secretary to make an appointment to see the boss it always seemed to help if you turned on a little bit of the "helpless Englishman abroad". Bizarre but true.

2 - When I used to speak to my French girlfriend she sometimes used to look blankly at me and do a Gallic shrug. If I repeated myself in a stupid Antoine de Caunes accent she would understand immediately. Also bizarre but true.

When you said that French women are suckers for an English accent, I was hoping for a better anecdote than you wanting to speak to some boss or other

CharlesF

Guru
I've always been interested in the Polish and the apparent rapport between British and Poles. I don't think it's just down to our cooperation in WW11;

I was fascinated to learn recently that Bonnie Prince Charlie was half Polish. His mother was Maria Clementina Sobieska (Maria Klementyna Sobieska)!

MrPie

Telling it like it is since 1971
New Eastern European janitor cum lollipop man at the kids old primary school. My neighbour popped up to collect one of his kids from an after school club and got chatting to the new janny. Conversion goes: ‘have been cleaning gym floor al day wiz ziz strange liquid in tin....I forget what you call it....’. Neighbour says ‘polish’? No, from Latvia.....but thanks you for asking. The janny has a sense of humour!

New Eastern European janitor cum lollipop man at the kids old primary school. My neighbour popped up to collect one of his kids from an after school club and got chatting to the new janny. Conversion goes: ‘have been cleaning gym floor al day wiz ziz strange liquid in tin....I forget what you call it....’. Neighbour says ‘polish’? No, from Latvia.....but thanks you for asking. The janny has a sense of humour!
I saw a chap down the athletics ground, carrying a long bendy stick. I asked "are you a pole vaulter" and he said "no, I'm German but how did you know my name?"

Top Bottom