The Polish guy at work

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnnyb47

Guru
Hi.
About 4 years back we had a "new starter" at work. He,s a Polish guy and spoke very little English. Immediately we hit it off together and have remained great friends ever since.
At first ,he was very quiet and reserved ,but somehow we both sensed we had the same sense of humour and mentality as each other. Because of this, he felt more comfortable coming to me if he didn't understand a job he was given ,and that I would spend that little extra time in explaining it. As his English was pretty poor I started to teach him basic words to help him get through the day at work. As the months rolled on ,I kept on teaching him more and more words until he was able to string simple English sentences together. Once this happened his English came on in leaps and bounds. We would be in fits of laughter sometimes, because he would come out with things that would come across really "course" or would sound offensive , but I knew it was only said, because of his limited vocabulary. With the great sense of humour we both possessed ,I found teaching English was really good fun, trying to refine is almost robotic way of speaking into a more natural way of how English is spoken. Today his English is brilliant and we can now have a full blown conversation with just the occasional help from me. One thing I did notice was that, as his English good better ,it somehow became harder to teach him. Little things that we accept in a language as the norm ,he would question ,and I could not explain to him why a sentence is said in a certain way. It makes me think sometimes why we would say a sentence in a particular way after hearing his questioning of it.
I think the final breakthrough to him understanding English is that I can now tell a joke to him and he can understand double meanings of a word.
We've been out on plenty of bike rides together last year with lot of pub stops in between.As much as he likes his vodka he's now gained a taste for Guinness down the local :-).tut tut :-).
It's really interesting to listen to him and his family about the history of his home country of the pre Lech Walesa days.
A Strange thing ,is that he now often finds it hard to remember certain Polish word's, because he now speaks mainly English.
I have tried to learn Polish but it's beyond my 3 brain cells unfortunately. I can string a few sentences together at a struggle.
Anyway enough of my ramblings. :-) :-)

MarkF

Guru
I work with Poles and help them out with their English. Polish is difficult for native English speakers (as I assume it must be reversed) but I find it a really lovely sounding language.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
I have a great rapport with the Polish, and other Eastern European drivers, at work.
So far, my vocabulary extends to nearly twenty words in Polish (Some of them even polite!)
Difficult language to master..

Drago

Legendary Member
A friend of mine is a Polish interpreter. He recently created a flash website to promote his business, and being the real mates we are we all took the pish out of him for posing in a suit trying to look professional and thoughtful.

Lullabelle

Banana
We have 2 Polish guys working for us, 1 has great English and interprets for us, the other understands better than he speaks. Really nice guys, hard working, polite and friendly. Strangely some of my colleagues don't like Eastern Europeans including the Latvians who work with us, however they are fine with the African/Indian people who work here :scratch:

Tim Hall

A few years ago I visited a construction site to drop some kit off. I got the bloke there to give me a hand. "After three, one, two, three" and we lifted it out. Noticing his, to me, eastern European accent and making a massive assumption I asked how to say one, two, three in Polish. "I don't know" he said "I'm from Latvia"

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
I have a Polish lodger. She's lived in my house for 9 years now and we have a great rapport. Polish is a hard language to try and learn - took me ages just to master saying her full name:blush:. I enjoy having people from other countries around as it enhances our culture.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Fascinating post thank you. As a linguist by degree I love stories like this; I lived in Spain and France as a student and at times afterwards and became pretty fluent in fairly colloquial versions of both languages. I always think that fear of mistakes is the learner's greatest enemy; going to the bar for a few drinks loosens the inhibitions and lubricates the tongue.

I've always been interested in the Polish and the apparent rapport between British and Poles. I don't think it's just down to our cooperation in WW11; I think there's a commonality of character there as we both see similar traits of quiet doggedness, pride and determination in each other as well as deep and long-lasting cultures. I posted a few days ago about Polish shops and I'm hoping to find out more about our local Polish community here in the North-West.

Congratulations to the OP on opening your mind and offering hospitality and help to your new colleague. I know only too well the feelings of loneliness and homesickness of being abroad, away from your own culture and a friend and mentor is valuable in that situation. Our country is so enriched by outside influences; I watched a Panorama programme recently about the English-Asian divide in Blackburn, my nearby town and it depressed the hell out of me - we are friends with our Asian neighbours and dervive much enjoyment from the friendship. If only everybody could be the same.

Edit: Mrs Gti is having French lessons at the moment and getting on well and yes, as she learns more I find it hard to explain some of the more obscure habits of the language. I end up saying: "Don't worry, the longer you practice the easier these funny anomalies become and eventually they will be completely instinctive."

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Polish? Pah!
Try Hungarian.. now that's an impenetrable language.
We had a Hungarian lady join us last year. Her English is ok but it's the nuances and slang that get her everytime. She is continually learning and finding funny different new phrases and words to her.
When she first joined she kept on saying Cheerio as a greeting. Some one had told her that's what it meant. So now when she comes in we greet her with a Cheerio.
One day I called someone a Tosspot. What is Topspot, she asked. So now she uses Topspot.

She has been teaching us some Hungarian words and phrases. Blimey it's hard to get a grip of.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Oh yes, Hungarians say "hello" when they mean "goodbye".

I managed to learn just a few greetings like jo napot kivanok or jo estet and jo reggelt. Apparently the language came from Finland.

bianchi1

Guru
I work/have worked with lots of great Eastern Europeans. Does anyone else find they alter their English when speaking to them? For example if I'm going for a pint after work I'll say something like "I go for drink later, you come". Which is ridiculous as it makes me sound stupid and enforces poor English in my colleagues. Conversely if I say "I'm off for a swift one when we're done " they wouldn't pick up the slang.

With most of the Poles I've worked with - and they made up 1/2 the crew on the last ship - I tend to forget that English isn't their 1st language.Easy to do when you can chat and joke with them then switch to a highly technical discussion. They're just work colleagues.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I work/have worked with lots of great Eastern Europeans. Does anyone else find they alter their English when speaking to them? For example if I'm going for a pint after work I'll say something like "I go for drink later, you come". Which is ridiculous as it makes me sound stupid and enforces poor English in my colleagues. Conversely if I say "I'm off for a swift one when we're done " they wouldn't pick up the slang.

Absolutely. I spend a lot of time talking with people who don't have English as a first language. Over the years I've developed a form of English that makes life easier for them. Keeping everything in the present tense, no unnecessary contractions, no slang. It's very interesting when someone joins a meeting who isn't used to talking to non-native English speakers...they just talk to them as they would to me. Confusion reigns. I find myself having to re-explain what is being said, in my weird, clunky "foreign English"

"Yesterday I went to the pub and had a couple of beers"....would become "Yesterday I go to the bar and I drink several beers"

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Oh yes, Hungarians say "hello" when they mean "goodbye".

I managed to learn just a few greetings like jo napot kivanok or jo estet and jo reggelt. Apparently the language came from Finland.

One that has stuck in my mind is Legyen zep napod - Have a nice day

Top Bottom