The Poppy "Fascists"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

QuickDraw

Directing negative feelings to others who didn't actually wrong him is bigotry, though, isn't it? If a black man mugged my uncle, would it be ok to slag off all black people?

You are missing the point. To use your analogy would it be acceptable to be a bit off with people going around wiyh stickers saying muggers are heroes? The story of the British army in ireland is not a wholly honourable one. If someone grew up experiencing them as an occupying army we should cut them a bit of slack when we spend a month glorifyimg them. This does not mean we should stop wearing popies or anything like that just that we should not have to resort to insults for someone with an opposing view.

snailracer

Über Member
You are missing the point. To use your analogy would it be acceptable to be a bit off with people going around wiyh stickers saying muggers are heroes? The story of the British army in ireland is not a wholly honourable one. If someone grew up experiencing them as an occupying army we should cut them a bit of slack when we spend a month glorifyimg them. This does not mean we should stop wearing popies or anything like that just that we should not have to resort to insults for someone with an opposing view.

The poppy is more akin to a symbol for a half-way house for ex-muggers.
The Republican combatants weren't exactly showered with plaudits for their conduct, either. I wonder if the subject's antipathy extends to his own "team"? Only the willfully naive would think that only one side holds all the moral cards in any conflict, especially the Irish one.

J.Y.Kelly

Yeah... that just kind of proves you're here to troll, doesnt it. Cubist has proven himself to be anything other than intolerant many times on here.

You may think that, I couldn't possibly comment apart from reiterating that I don't care what you or others think about me or my opinions.

brokenbetty

Über Member
Whatever your personal views on wars, the military and the symbolism of poppies, it can't be right for people to feel pressurised to wear them.

Recently - the last few years - I've found it disconcerting how much the media and political rhetoric over the war in Iraq then Afghanistan reminds me of 1984 and Starship Troopers. For example, when did it become customary to refer to British soldiers as "heroes"? Individuals or soldiers involved in specific actions yes, but collectively, as a matter of course? That's new.

(edit: Starship Troopers the film that is, I haven't read the book)

Renard

For example, when did it become customary to refer to British soldiers as "heroes"? Individuals or soldiers involved in specific actions yes, but collectively, as a matter of course? That's new.

Indeed, it wasn't that long ago when the army recruitment campaign was encouraging new recruits to become a 'professional'.

I was at my local Cenotaph today as I always am on Rememberance Day. As an ex soldier I was wearing my medals, unfortunately I left home without my poppy which was in my other jacket.

I was actually approached by a lady and asked why I wasnt wearing one. Although I was annoyed by her question, I politely told her why. Clearly she could see by the medals that i was ex forces and I was annoyed at the suggestion that I had not donated to the poppy appeal. She was wearing one, maybe I should have asked where her medals were!

just jim

The poppy is more akin to a symbol for a half-way house for ex-muggers.
The Republican combatants weren't exactly showered with plaudits for their conduct, either. I wonder if the subject's antipathy extends to his own "team"? Only the willfully naive would think that only one side holds all the moral cards in any conflict, especially the Irish one.

So he /she has a "team?" then? "the subject" (a lab rat perhaps) seemed to me to be expressing a more general point.

I was at my local Cenotaph today as I always am on Rememberance Day. As an ex soldier I was wearing my medals, unfortunately I left home without my poppy which was in my other jacket.

I was actually approached by a lady and asked why I wasnt wearing one. Although I was annoyed by her question, I politely told her why. Clearly she could see by the medals that i was ex forces and I was annoyed at the suggestion that I had not donated to the poppy appeal. She was wearing one, maybe I should have asked where her medals were!
I wouldn't have got annoyed at that. If the lady had asked the question of an ordinary member of the public - e.g. me, yes I would have found it intrusive. But in your case, she obviously saw the medals, thought it must be most unusual for a medal-wearer not to wear a poppy, and assumed a moment of absent-mindedness on your part. ;) Seems she guessed right. :smile:

I dont every wear the poppy, but I am a ex soldier, and always give to the poppy appeal, as I know the money goes to help those who need it. I was approached by a lady with a poppy tin, who was really angry that i was not wearing a poppy or was not going to wear one of hers, I just asked her if she would be wearing her medals at the parade, as i would be wearing mine. she looked so puzzled. and walked away grunting to herself. A friend of mine who was also collecting for the poppy appeal explained to her that because a person does not wear a poppy it does not mean they dont care. and she should check who people are before opening her mouth.

I worry that the whole thing will lose it meaning, well I think it has, it seems to me its become a symbol for the masses who no longer have to serve or or dont wish to serve in any of the forces, to say We have done our bit.

Was there some special event/occasion to remember this year. Even the football teams had poppies on their jerseys.. ie specially made jerseys. Seems to me there are a number of different strands here. There's remembrance, and there's the British Legion charity. Personally I find it all a bit like Princess Di's "the people's princess" funeral , a bit like "grief junkies" this year.. a sort of Fox news angle on the whole thing.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I donated, as most people did. But I personally chose not to wear a poppy. I find it slightly mawkish and distasteful.
Anyone who gets annoyed at me for my choice not to wear one can **** right off.

I think I'd be more inclined to wear one if the poppy stall didn't have "The Glorious Dead" emblazoned on it. That turns my stomach, and is the antithesis of what the poppy appeal is supposed to stand for. I only donate because I think the appeal is generally pretty good at channelling my money to the deserving recipients.

benb

Evidence based cyclist
And I do feel sorry for public figures. Wear one too early and they're accused of just wearing it to be PC and for the sake of it. Leave it too late and you'll get castigated for dishonouring "our boys".

I think I'd be more inclined to wear one if the poppy stall didn't have "The Glorious Dead" emblazoned on it.
The poppy itself used to have the words HAIG FUND embossed on the black knob in the middle. But a few years ago it was changed to POPPY APPEAL. I think the reference to Haig was putting people off, although the Haig Fund is still operating as a charity.

I've never understood what the green 'leaf' attached to most poppies, symbolises. Seeing as it's nothing like the leaves of a real poppy plant. IIRC the poppies used to come without this leaf.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
The original design had green leaves, but finding green paper (as opposed to the original green felt) where the colour won't run in the rain has been very difficult at times.

Croppers in the Lake District provides the red paper, but can't mange a recipe for the green. In the last couple of years, a firm in Holland has come up trumps, so the leaves have returned.

But the Poppy factory does innovate to a certain degree and have introduced stick on poppies a couple of years ago for those wearing goretex. They have also introduced poppies attached to Islamic crescents for the Muslim community to use at the fields of remembrance as well as plain 'sticks' with poppies, which originally were for the Gurkha families, but now are very popular with atheists and humanists. They also do wreaths of blue poppies for the special forces, which you'll never see as their memorial is inside the barracks at Hereford.

Happiness Stan

Matthew 6

Giving to the Needy
[sup]1[/sup] “Be careful not to practice your righteousness in front of others to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven. [sup]2[/sup] “So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by others. Truly I tell you, they have received their reward in full. [sup]3[/sup] But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, [sup]4[/sup] so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.

Top Bottom