The Poppy "Fascists"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mark_Robson

[QUOTE 1242460"]
Nonsense. It's a pin, not a 13" rip. [/quote]I'm with Arch on this one. Why would you go to the expense of buying waterproof clothing and then stick pin holes in it?
Oh and sarcasm doesn't suit you. :tongue:

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
[QUOTE 1242460"]
Nonsense. It's a pin, not a 13" rip. Your waterproof has lots of pin holes in it, how do you think they sewed the thing together? How the hell does your head poke out? Where do your hands come out of the sleeves? Holes thats where. And before you say, "Oooh, but they are sealed, simply pin it, then stick a teeny tiny piece of tape over the enormous holes from the inside. Don't forget to seal the neck and sleeves while you're at it.

If you are still precious about it, poke it through the zip fastener.
[/quote]

My god you're a massive douche, Maggot. They seal the stitching at the factory on a proper raincoat, they dont leave it open.:biggrin:

Why not put a biggish steel pin through the poppy, and use a pill magnet on the inside of your raincoat?

Job done.
einstein-albert-einstein-genius-smiley-emoticon-000718-large.gif

Took a bit of googling for a more recent "debate" to be found where people should be "forced" to wear poppies...

http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/letters/Feelings-shame/article-2891187-detail/article.html

Jane Smith represents the kind of person I am talking about in exquisite detail.
I have no quarrel with 'Jane Smith', but this set me thinking:
They should be ashamed of themselves. If you think some wars are not necessary, take a look at a programme Nazis: A Warning From History on Yesterday . This tells you why we needed to fight, as the Third Reich wanted to take over the world.
As it happens, I have watched the Nazis: A Warning From History programmes. Makes me think of another badge, maybe an even more poignant one. This one, people were forced to wear:

yellow_star_of_david.jpg

Perhaps two world wars were fought, and lives were sacrificed, in order that we wouldn't be compelled to wear a badge such as this...

J.Y.Kelly

Struggling to get the word "****" through the swear filter..........................

Silly boy. I don't actually care what you think, your opinion of me is totally irrelevant. Arguing would only serve to entrench my position, especially with someone as intolerant of other people's opinions as you seem to be.

J.Y.Kelly

I can be a bit of a 'poppy fascist' myself in the sense that I always remind people to wear a white poppy.

http://en.wikipedia...._poppy_(symbol)

Well done that man!

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
Silly boy. I don't actually care what you think, your opinion of me is totally irrelevant. Arguing would only serve to entrench my position, especially with someone as intolerant of other people's opinions as you seem to be.

Yeah... that just kind of proves you're here to troll, doesnt it. Cubist has proven himself to be anything other than intolerant many times on here.

QuickDraw

And then there's the other nasty side of the coin.
My son (who TBH) has never shown any inclination to wear before, but is currently working with ex servicemen, so i assume its rubbed off on him. Anyway, he want to wear one so fair play.
He was saying tonight, one of his supervisors is from Northern Ireland...and he's been really funny today with the guys who are wearing poppies, nothing overt, but very dismissive, out of his normal character.
They came to the conclusion hes a nationalist, anti British. Its the only conclusion they could come to.

Bigotted i'd call it. I hope he doesnt sleep tonight if he's that uptight :biggrin:

nasty bigotted uptight? Maybe you'e right. Maybe his experience of the british army is different from the gallant heroes we hear about on the news. Maybe he lost family members to some of those heroes. Try to remember the history of northern ireland before dismissing anyone who finds the poppy distasteful. This is exactly the sort of fascism the original post was talking about.

snailracer

Über Member
nasty bigotted uptight? Maybe you'e right. Maybe his experience of the british army is different from the gallant heroes we hear about on the news. Maybe he lost family members to some of those heroes. Try to remember the history of northern ireland before dismissing anyone who finds the poppy distasteful. This is exactly the sort of fascism the original post was talking about.
Directing negative feelings to others who didn't actually wrong him is bigotry, though, isn't it? If a black man mugged my uncle, would it be ok to slag off all black people?

And I think the word "fascism" is bandied around too easily - someone who is trying to persuade you to buy a poppy is not comparable to someone in jackboots kicking you into a gas chamber.

snailracer

Über Member
I have no quarrel with 'Jane Smith', but this set me thinking:
As it happens, I have watched the Nazis: A Warning From History programmes. Makes me think of another badge, maybe an even more poignant one. This one, people were forced to wear:

yellow_star_of_david.jpg

Perhaps two world wars were fought, and lives were sacrificed, in order that we wouldn't be compelled to wear a badge such as this...
Now if they shot you for refusing to wear a poppy, you'd have a point.

QuickDraw

Directing negative feelings to others who didn't actually wrong him is bigotry, though, isn't it? If a black man mugged my uncle, would it be ok to slag off all black people?

You are missing the point. To use your analogy would it be acceptable to be a bit off with people going around wiyh stickers saying muggers are heroes? The story of the British army in ireland is not a wholly honourable one. If someone grew up experiencing them as an occupying army we should cut them a bit of slack when we spend a month glorifyimg them. This does not mean we should stop wearing popies or anything like that just that we should not have to resort to insults for someone with an opposing view.

Top Bottom