The Poppy "Fascists"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

darkstar

I personally feel no need to make that gesture.

Well thats fine fella, I have enormous admiration for the soldiers, namely my grandfather who was a pathfinder in the RAF. It's personal motives which make this day so special, not everyone agrees, and thats fine.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I'm with FD on this. It's a worthy cause, and I'll pay for the poppy, but over the years it's become more and more like something you have to do to show you care.

Ed Milliband and partner were pictured today with the new baby. He in a shirt and trousers and she in what I think was a nightdress. Both wore poppies. That's just silly.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Anyone else notice an unnerving amount of people making comments about forcing people to wear a Poppy, or being quite brisk about "wheres YOUR poppy!?" etc...

Simple answer, no, everyone I have met has been very 'respectful' for the fact i've not worn one this year (as i forgot to get one this year) I've not heard anyone else complain either.

OP
OP
downfader

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
The concept of putting the poppy and fascism together is quite ridiculous, bad taste much?

As Arch said the quote markers were an inclination to hesitancy. I simply cant think of a better way of describing these people.

I'm all for donating, I even encourage others to do so in my own way (and those that know me know my inclinations). We cellebrate the silence at 11am in our workplace, partly because myself and others wished to do so, but as I said earlier if we make people feel bad for not wearing a poppy its getting silly. They have a right to choose.

just jim

Well thats fine fella, I have enormous admiration for the soldiers, namely my grandfather who was a pathfinder in the RAF. It's personal motives which make this day so special, not everyone agrees, and thats fine.

Why thankyou chum.

The "Where's YOUR (insert item)?" concept is a common advertising and marketing ploy, as is the suggestion that you are out of line if you don't comply.

Another classic example was the Milk adverts - "Where's your Mustache?" campaign in the US

Although I don't want to start a war here.....but this is nothing to do with War or Peace, but Remembrance, I have yet to be to any ceremony that has been exclusive to any group or promotes War. If anything talking to and educating people and children that there is a human cost to fighting like this is a good thing.

"The Fortune of War, and I'll tell thee plain - are a wooden leg or a golden chain"

darkstar

As Arch said the quote markers were an inclination to hesitancy. I simply cant think of a better way of describing these people.

I'm all for donating, I even encourage others to do so in my own way (and those that know me know my inclinations). We cellebrate the silence at 11am in our workplace, partly because myself and others wished to do so, but as I said earlier if we make people feel bad for not wearing a poppy its getting silly. They have a right to choose.

I agree with that, people shouldn't feel as though they have to wear one. I just see it as a nice way to remember people :smile:

szygy

I think it's a brilliant way of people uniting to show support for the armed forces.

Yes. Yes. Yes. I am glad to be free enough to wear a poppy.
Those who fought in WW11 did do so to preserve our freedom, including the freedom to wear swastikas, but it is not a freedom I would want to enjoy.
BTW, I used to wear a white 'peace' poppy for years, until I talked to someone who had been in the falklands.
In my opinion those who are anti-forces are exactly those who most enjoy the freedoms they have preserved for us.

Tim Bennet.

Entirely Average Member
One of my colleagues, for example, wears a white peace poppy - that's his choice, and fair enough. It's not a statement I'd make, but his is the right to make it.
I don't think many people know either the history or the significance of the white poppy. But the same could be said about people's understanding of the red poppies evolution into what we commonly believe it signifies today. However I do see it going through another phase in recent years with it becoming more 'establishment' in its representations.

Both poppies are symbols of peace and remembrance, but the originators of the white poppy (The Women's Co-operative Guild) felt we should remember all the dead, and in our remembrance look to end the cause of all the suffering.

The white poppy was and is a symbol of grief for all people of all nationalities, armed forces and civilians alike, who are victims of war. It has not always been understood. Some people wearing a white poppy have been accused of disrespect to the war dead; they have been shouted at and abused. Some people have been sacked from their jobs for wearing white poppies, and white poppy wreaths have been removed from war memorials and trampled on. The British Legion strongly objected to the white poppy; for them the red poppy (though it's only associated with servicemen, and then only those of the British Commonwealth) was a peace symbol, and they felt the white one was in some way competing with it. Some people associated the white poppy with left-wing politics. Many associated it with conscientious objection and the 'conchies' who had been thought of 'cowards and shirkers' in the Great War. There were times when it took strength of mind to go out with a white poppy pinned to one's jacket.

why would you want to pay and then not wear one?

Maybe something like the opposite of the people I have seen wearing enormous poppies

I find that quite irritating...something Hyacinth Bucket would do "LOOK AT MEEEEEE! LOOK HOW PATRIOTIC I AM!"

With them, it's more about the show than the sentiment

Donating yet not making a show....vice versa

Top Bottom