The Poppy "Fascists"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dan B

Disengaged member
I don't tell anyone about any of my other charitable donations, apart from (obviously) the charities involved. If anyone thinks less of me because I'm not wearing a poppy (I bought three this year, lost them all) then I think that's primarily their problem not mine

darkstar

I don't tell anyone about any of my other charitable donations, apart from (obviously) the charities involved. If anyone thinks less of me because I'm not wearing a poppy (I bought three this year, lost them all) then I think that's primarily their problem not mine

I've never even considered the act f wearing a poppy to be about the donation, a pound is nothing. I've thought of the actual gesture, to be the nice part. I think the majority of the population give money to charity and don't go on about it, thats nothing special.

J.Y.Kelly

I've never worn a poppy, and don't intend to start.
This is where I make myself really unpopular: All servicemen nowdays are volunteers, it's their choice to join up and kill people.
I am not interested in remembering the past, because the human race never learns from it's mistakes.
My father lost 5 brothers and a sister during world war 2 and never wanted to talk about it.
Everyone has a choice, even conscripts.

Don't waste your time explaining to me about " dying for your country" because there is no such thing.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I'd not done anything for the Legion before Pedal to Paris- no donations or any active support- but I certainly appreciated the sacrifices made by service people past and present. I've definitely become more interested & keen to support the Legion since I signed up for P2P (I intend to do that ride in 2011, plus an end-to-end in aid of the cause too), but I certainly wouldn't want people to feel obliged to wear a poppy- I never have myself. I've now raised money, I'll be donating myself, and that's enough for me. I can't agree with anyone who thinks the Legion etc glorifies war, but they're entitled to their opinion.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I have been wearing one for a week. I bought this one as my last one is on its last legs. I have been giving money and using my own for about 15 years now, only replacing it when it needs to be and thus ensuring a tiny bit more of my money goes to those who need it.

I do feel that I wear a poppy because I want to. If someone else thought they could enforce me to wear one then I would not and I would stop giving to the appeal. I would then seek other ways to support our old soldiers.

I certainly feel that so many gave their lives so that I can be free to proudly call myself British and be free to be respectful and humbled in my own manner.

The poppy is just a symbol, no more and no less. The poppy itself does no actual good to help old soldiers, only the support and respect from the population do.

I do feel a great honour to have been able to meet and work with some of the elderly, and now past, men who fought in the wars. So much fear and terror and yet never turned away from their duty.

I would never go to war, probably, but I have the deepest respect for those who do on my behalf.

JamesAC

Few reasons really.

I believe charity should be done in a way that you take personal pleasure, and not praise. Charity should be private and done through feeling a certain way about a certain cause, and not through wanting to show that you've given to charity.

Won't post the other as it's controversial and the world should be about peace, not war.

It's not about charity, is it? It's about showing your support, or solidarity, or sympathy, for the men and women who are prepared to make the supreme sacrifice on our bahalves.

Go on. Wear your poppy with pride.

This is where I make myself really unpopular: All servicemen nowdays are volunteers, it's their choice to join up and kill people.

Don't waste your time explaining to me about " dying for your country" because there is no such thing.

This is a very naive and untrue statement.

Many of these troops are from areas where there is little or no opportunity.

Rather then joining up because they want to kill people they join up because it is a chance to learn a trade, gain qualifications and gain opportunities that are not available otherwise.

The Welsh valleys for instance are over represented in Infantry Regiments for these very reasons.

<------- More of a personal for me than anything else, but then I always have a brief thought of of the person whenever passing the Cenotaph anyway.
Wear one (or don't - up to you) if if it means something to you. Not because everyone else is or you feel obliged to.

Jon Snow has had some criticism for not wearing one, but has put on his blog that he will be on Sunday at a Remembrance service. He used the 'poppy fascists' phrase as well.

It might seem a little disrespectful to describe Remembrance Sunday and the rash of poppies that precedes it as "just show business", but that is precisely how Harry Patch, the final survivor of the 1914-1918 war, characterised the ceremonies in his memoir, The Last Fighting Tommy.

Quote from this article

why would you want to pay and then not wear one?

it's a bit more than just donating to a charity isn't? it's about publicly showing your support not only for those that have fallen, but also for those who are out there at the moment.

ultimately, it is the person's choice but if you support the cause, why not publicly show it?

i suppose also you could argue the point of freedom of speech? perhaps those people who ask you feel they have a the freedom of speech to do it?

some people's beliefs are that their giving should be in secret - but then you could argue that the amount you give is secret

I am not interested in remembering the past, because the human race never learns from it's mistakes.
My father lost 5 brothers and a sister during world war 2 and never wanted to talk about it.

Servicemen in the UK forces are people there by choice, but is the poppy not about remembering the people who fought, both living and fallen for the freedoms that we enjoy today?

My grandfather lost siblings during WWII and did not like being in the navy (why he joined the navy and not another force I don't know and now never will) and didn't like to talk about the war, but he was thankful, as am I that normal people went forward and instead of refusing to go and fight, they went and they did remarkable things, for example the commando's and the men who fought their way off the beaches in normandy.

Yes, the human race does seem to forget and fight, surely the point is to remember the people who fought for the freedom we have, but also to educate the leaders of tomorrow so that they don't repeat the mistakes of the past?

Yes, the human race does seem to forget and fight, surely the point is to remember the people who fought for the freedom we have, but also to educate the leaders of tomorrow so that they don't repeat the mistakes of the past?

I'd like to think so too. Every MP wearing a poppy would seem to indicate it hasn't happened yet though.

I have yet to read all on this thread, but just wanted to add my comments.

I do not buy a poppy each November.

Instead I donate through my payslip each month to the Scottish poppy appeal (or whaterver it is called)

My donations (or lack of) to charity are between me, them and the taxman. I find it distasteful and crass to advertise my involvement.

YMMV.

Top Bottom