The Price Of A Tour De France Bicycle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wester

Guru
What would be the price range of the bikes that the cyclists use in the TDF ? i guess it would be quite a saucey price

'saucey'...??

The bikes are usually based around high end retail models - the build spec depends on who their individual component sponsors are. Costs don't mean much, because most of the kit is normally supplied FOC..

martint235

Dog on a bike
Yeh Id guess about 5K as an off the shelf.

But aren't they tailor made in terms of frame geometry and sizing, to the rider? So probably priceless really.
I thought one of the ideas behind the US Postal Team Trek was that if you had the money, you could go into a shop and buy exactly the same bike with the same spec as LA was riding. I think it cost around £6k at the time.

Alun

Guru
A Dogma2 frameset at £4000, Dura Ace Di2 groupset at £2500, and a pair of carbon wheels at about £2000, add a Powermeter and those silly oval chainrings it's going to be £10,000 by the time you've finished.
As has already been said though, framesets are built to different specs for individual riders, and wheels and gears can be changed for different stages, so it's difficult to give a close figure.

Buddfox

Veteran
If you want one, you could do worse than look out for British Cycling's end of season sale, when they put this Year's team bikes on the market. I think a Sky bike would set you back about £7,500.

ayceejay

Guru
Have a look at the WrenchScience.com web site for a rough idea.

redcard

Veteran
I thought one of the ideas behind the US Postal Team Trek was that if you had the money, you could go into a shop and buy exactly the same bike with the same spec as LA was riding. I think it cost around £6k at the time.

I think one of the rules of the Tour is that all components on the bike need to be available retail

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
The retail price varies wildly. If you shopped around, £4k would get you a top end machine, OK with £1k wheels rather than £2k wheels.

Take the Canyon road bike, Campag Super Record Groupset (£1,800 discounted price - RRP is more), R-SYS SLR (£1,200) wheels (bloody fantastic and light I believe), Ritchey WCS finishing kit, for the grand sum of £3,800 - bloody brilliant.

£5k-£6k is about the norm before you start getting into exotic kit. Flash wheels can be £2k, and quality framesets vary from £2k to £4k - some being a bit over priced. Take Spesh kit, some of the most R&D developed frames (like Trek) but they sit at about £2.5k for the top end SWORKS frames (excluding the Mclaren).

Other end, take the DeRosa Protos with Super Record EPS (Electronic) - no change from £12,000. :blush:

martint235

Dog on a bike
I think one of the rules of the Tour is that all components on the bike need to be available retail
Yeah I think it is too. It's just that Trek made a big thing that rather than buy all the bits etc and have the bike built, you could literally walk into a bike shop and walk out with a Trek Madone (I think it was the Madone) specced out just like LA's. Naturally the alleged performance enhancing drugs would be extra.

Top Bottom