The price of fish and chips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I had a rare treat of fish and chips the other day at a cost of £6.70.

It struck me as plenty of money, although it's not something I have often so cannot offer any direct comparisons.

The shop was in Sunderland, so will probably be as cheap as any, and it was a big piece of cod.

But £6.70 still looks quite dear compared to a McDonald's for less than a fiver, or a pizza which you can also get for about £5 around here if you avoid the chains.

What are your thoughts on the price of fish and chips?

perplexed

Guru
Our local chippie is very good quality. Two 'small' fish, which are more than adequate for adults, one large portion of chips and a large mushy peas comes to around £9.20.

That's two full adult meals, and the portions are way bigger and better than M's, so I think it's not bad value.

gbb

Legendary Member
I think I pay £5.60 for regular cod and regular chips. Regular....I hate that Americanism, don't know why.
There's a huge variation in shop portions. My favoured locals portions aren't big but enough for me. A local chippie where I used to work, their portions were humongus, ridiculously big...for about the same cost.

Slick

Guru
The days of Cod and Haddock are coming to an end in favour of the more abundant coley or pollack. The average fish supper costs more than some fishermen get for landing a box.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I wondered if I was getting cod.

It was sold as such, but I don't know enough to be sure and probably couldn't tell the difference if it was a substitute.

Slick

Guru
I wondered if I was getting cod.

It was sold as such, but I don't know enough to be sure and probably couldn't tell the difference if it was a substitute.
Most people are the same. Cod has quite thick meat and flakes. They also have Jesus's finger prints on them pre cooked. Most Jocks consider them a dirty fish and go for the Haddock.

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
Used to be a cheap tea, but nowadays seen as a treat for us. Had a few days down on Hayling Island last month, fish and chip tea for the 4 of us didn't see much change from £20. Good fish and chips though.

U

User33236

Here in Hull I'd expect change from £5.

Given three or four years ago I was in Hull and pubs on the main street had 'happy hour" £1 a pint deals at around 9pm on a Saturday evening I would expect considerable change out of that fiver.

Only comparison I have locally is a former 'chipy of the year ', that does a small fish and chips (plenty for me but I'm not what you would call a big eater) for £4.20.

Top Bottom