The price of fish and chips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User33236

I wondered if I was getting cod.

It was sold as such, but I don't know enough to be sure and probably couldn't tell the difference if it was a substitute.
There was a TV programme on in the week where they were having to carry out DNA analysis to determine what species of fish was what so not surprised that you as a consumer couldn't be sure.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Most people are the same. Cod has quite thick meat .

It was quite chunky, so probably was cod.

Not that another white fish would have bothered me, I reckon there's not much flavour to any of it after it's been deep fried.

The main taste is probably the batter.

Slick

Guru
It was quite chunky, so probably was cod.

Not that another white fish would have bothered me, I reckon there's not much flavour to any of it after it's been deep fried.

The main taste is probably the batter.
Your probably right, although I do think there is a taste difference, but that's just a personal thing. The older I get, the more I seem to enjoy anything from the sea.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Your probably right, although I do think there is a taste difference, but that's just a personal thing. The older I get, the more I seem to enjoy anything from the sea.

Salmon is my favourite, it's also versatile being just as nice cold or hot.

Levo-Lon

Guru
2x cod 1 medium chips £8.90 for us.. And very nice they are too.

If i compare it to 2 meals 2 pints and a coke at a local pub i save around 28 quid...

Slick

Guru
Salmon is my favourite, it's also versatile being just as nice cold or hot.
Good choice, it's delicious.

midlife

Guru
When I worked at Cliff Pratt cycles in Hull it was my job as skivvy to go out at lunchtime to the chippy any get fish and chips. Back then Hull actually had a fishing fleet and the fish was as cheap as chips and as big as a railway sleeper.

Never had better in the last 40 years...

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Standard haddock supper here is £7.40
£7.20 just for the haddock here. But their chip portions are ridiculously big so you save money by buying 3 fish and just one chips. Never on a Friday, though. Chippy was voted top London fish and chip shop recently and the Friday night queues have gone viral.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Standard Haddock and chips at the best local chippy is £4.99 and the portion size is plenty big enough unless you've not eaten for a week.

Go elsewhere and you can pay £7.50 a portion though. There also seems to be a problem with consistency too - what was for many years the stand out chippy on this side of town is somewhere we avoid now as you've no idea if you'll get the excellent standard their reputation once guaranteed or greasy mediocrity.

OP
OP
Pale Rider

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Regional variation in language - as always - interests me.

Some describe fish and chips as a 'tea' or a 'supper'.

in the north east you will hear the phrase 'fish lot', which simply means 'fish and chips'.

You might also be asked if you want batter on, or scrapings, which means a separate serving of batter bits.

Much as I like a greasy treat, that's a bit too much for me.

Top Bottom