1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The primal blueprint .

Discussion in 'Training, Fitness and Health' started by Cuchilo, 5 Jan 2018.

1. Alan O

Alan O Über Member

I think another key point is that a caveman diet was almost certainly calorie restricted (and there are claims that that in itself is good), in that they had to expend a lot more time and energy in obtaining food than we do today, and were probably a lot hungrier for a lot longer than modern humans - it was easy for them to not over-eat, because they didn't have enough food to do so.

There are many factors (most notably not being able to examine the general health of any living ancient people for the obvious reason that there aren't any) that prevent us making an "other things being equal" analysis of different specific food groups consumed then and now, and all we can really do is compare current diets around the world.

As others have pointed out, many Mediterranean folk live long and healthy lives on diets that are high in grains. And Asian people consume vast quantities of rice during their lives, but developed Asian countries (excluding underdeveloped ones with poverty-related health problems) have higher proportions of centenarians than just about anywhere else.

There's a lot of obvious good sense in adopting a more primitive and simpler diet, avoiding refined carbs (especially sugars), eating plenty of fruit and veg, getting enough exercise, etc. But claiming that paleolithic people (a) were healthier than modern humans, and (b) were healthier because they ate no cultivated grains, is not only not supported by direct evidence but can not be supported by direct evidence, as a proper comparison is impossible. We can guess, based on dubious indirect evidence, but that's the best we can do.

The purpose of fad diet books is to enrich the authors of fad diet books, and that's inevitable given the huge numbers of people who spend billions every year on weight-loss products - when all that's needed is to exercise more and ELYFB.

Last edited: 20 Jan 2018
  2. keithmac

keithmac Über Member

Money and gullibility..

Alan O likes this.
  3. It's easy to be glib and say that particular diets are down to "gullibility" but I don't think that's true or fair. In general terms this seems pretty similar to a lot of diets: "eat healthy stuff and not too much of it", wrapped around with a not terribly scientific story to justify it. And if the end result is that someone adopts a more healthy diet, that's no bad thing.

To take another example, some years back I was in need of losing weight. I'd been ill, I'd been immobilised as a result of surgery, and I needed to get back on track. I turned to a fad diet book (in my case the F Plan diet) to give things a bit of structure. It worked a treat, combined with (another bete noir of these boards) regular gym work, I lost fat and rebuilt some of the muscle I'd lost. And in the dozen or so years since, I've not gone anywhere near the weight at which I peaked.

My point is that if faddiness provides a bit of structure and a healthy diet (with an added load of woo around why it works, that you can safely ignore) and if that structure works for the purchaser, who gets the desired end result, who has been gulled? For the price of a book it could well be worth it (It was in my case).

Of course where these things get actively dangerous is where the spurious reasoning leads people to unhealthy choices. I believe there's a fad in the US at the moment for untreated water. Yeah, right.

4. confusedcyclist

confusedcyclist Über Member

This book, whilst not saying so say directly, encourages the reader to increase consumption of meat which is bad for us on two counts, environmental degradation and health. Ruling out healthy alternatives that addresses both issues is detrimental to society. This book has the potential to mislead and cause harm. People are right to challenge it. You need only look at the author's webpage to determine his interests. He's heavily promoting his on goods and wares at every oppertunity. I don't expect you to do it, but if you signed up to his mailing list, you'll get about 5 emails a week, all hawking his avocado oil and coconut butter, etc etc. Of course it's about money. It's not cynical at all.

mustang1, Alan O and Dogtrousers like this.
  5. mustang1

mustang1 Veteran

Pseudo science = witch craft

6. keithmac

keithmac Über Member

A rich and varied diet for me.

Portion control worked well when I needed to loose weight, not avoiding complete random food groups.

Firm believer in calories in vs calories out (which at the end of the day is what all "diets" are based on however they flower it up).

I'd be dead in the water on no/ low carb diet.

7. OP
    OP
    Cuchilo

Cuchilo Prize winning member X2

I'm still early on into the book but so far i cant see anything that will cause harm . He talks alot about modern lifestyle and how that effects everyone in the family and why .
    I dont need to lose weight and find the explanation of whats going on in your body with lifestyle and food very interesting as i dont know anything about the subject . Not being over weight means i dont read a lot of diet books . It was suggested to me by a friend who's a fitness instructor when i mentioned i race TT's but at a loss when it comes to diet to support my training .

8. oldwheels

oldwheels Über Member

Dogtrousers do you mean untreated water is bad for you? No chlorine and whatever else they put into it nowadays.
    For about the first 40 years of my life the water we drank was sometimes filtered but otherwise untreated. When I did photography after washing prints in the bath there was a fine collection of tiny snails left. When I was an agricultural student I had a great interest in parasites so no need to lecture me. When I tour I often drink brown peaty water from moorland burns after checking up as far as seems reasonable. If it looks like a suitable “toilet stop” I certainly move on.

9. It can be. Many diseases are water borne. Not all untreated water is safe.

Edit:
    By the way, I don't deny that some untreated water is safe. Water is water. As long as there are no harmful gribblies in it then it doesn't mater if it's chlorinated or peaty. It's just water.

I was referring to the ludicrous claims of "raw water" and "water consciousness" advocates in the States, charging a hefty fee for a potentially unsafe product, accompanied with lashings of psuedo-sience and anti-science woo. See: https://www.nytimes.com/2017/12/29/dining/raw-water-unfiltered.html "they’re putting in fluoride. Call me a conspiracy theorist, but it’s a mind-control drug that has no benefit to our dental health.”

Last edited: 23 Jan 2018
    Alan O likes this.