the pro spotting thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SimonC

A couple of obscure ones....

Saw Malcolm Elliott in a curry house in Sheff, quite a few years ago now.

Roger Hammonds dad has a static caravan on the same site as my mother-in-law, in Northumberland. Seen him a few times, and was marshalling when he won Junior CX Worlds in Leeds.

Sprinted against Chris Walker last year in local RR league, nearly had 'im^_^

Belly

I saw Chris Boardman on his mountain bike last week.

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Used to see ex rapha condor sharp cyclist Zak Dempster cycling across the Clifton Suspension Bridge quite frequently, more recently saw Gruff Lewis and James Stewart from Team UK Youth riding on a sportive in October.

SimonC

That the same Chris Walker who rode for Raleigh Banana. If one did, I think so. Thats a blast from the past!
The same (he did ride for Raleigh Banana). Was spotted by a mate of mine at a caff near the race, and asked if he fancied a ride. Turns out he did.

ComedyPilot

Secret Lemonade Drinker
I was in Beverley a couple of years ago and saw Rob Hayles, he totally blanked me when I said hello............the 50+ peleton chasing him over the cobbles at 30mph might have been the reason.

Does that count?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Yeh see a lot round here too - are they based out of Alsager? (MMU)

Some of them are - the'll be on one of the Sports Science courses at MMU. Loads are at Manchester Uni/MMU so you'll always see them on a wednesday, and apparently most of the 'senior' squad live in the area.

Speaking to one of the Coaches at the Track on Sunday, and he thought Manchester will still stay as the National Cycling Centre. - London may only be available for elite athletes (which is crap for locals and grass routes/legacy). Most of the squad he said were based up here as it's 'generally' better for cycling - less travelling, easy access to the hills/country.

Doseone

Guru
Used to see Jessica Allen round here all the time but come to think of it haven't seen her for a while.

I'll always remember a few years back she joined us on one of our tri club sunday rides. None of us knew who she was back then. Her Mum dropped her off and asked if it would be ok if she came with us (she can't have been much more than 15 or 16 at the time) and a couple of the lads said they would hang back and look after her thinking that their sunday ride had just been ruined babysitting a teenage girl. How we laughed as she annihilated us.

PeteT

I was riding in France once, and passed Hinault, leMond and Fignon halfway up the Tourmalet. Such was my shock, I almost clipped Indurain just before I passed him at the summit.
Then I woke up.:blush:

DresdenDoom

I used to have a mate called Gerrard Doyle who lived round the corner. Apparently his brother Tony was quite into cycling, tho I took no notice at the time.

Top Bottom