The Prodigal Cyclist Returns

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not massive but a lovely 12 mile pootle home through moonlit tracks.

Been missing from here a while - For a while I was only cycling for commuting which is barely a warm-up. Working long hours, going home via the takeaway and off licence I got so heavy I broke my bike frame!

I needed something else so I cut the unsociable hours, ditched the bike and took up a Walk 1000 Miles challenge last year and turned it into 2018 Miles ("going for a walk" miles, not indoor step-counting). Added a couple of 10k runs into the mix and shed the bulk of the weight gain

Signed up for Run 1000 this year and made a great start, doing my first ever 10-mile non-stop run but I have been struck down by Plantar Fasciitis. 2.5 miles ran yesterday left me almost unable to stand first thing in the morning. It's gojng to take some time to resolve.

So the bike is back in service and I'm back. Whilst I resolve my plantar issues.

Only 12 miles home but numerous PB's on segments from 5+ years ago. Just got to get the sit-bones used to the saddle again. And some supportive cycling shoes

Realistic cycling target until the end of 2019 - 5000 miles. Not astronomical but an achievable target. Still going to try to get to 1000 on-foot (740 miles to go)

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Good luck to you. Plantar isa feckin nuisance, I’ve had it on and off for about 8 years, there doesn’t seem to be a cure, you just manage it.

Drago

Legendary Member
I feel your pain Bro. I was thinking of quitting running last year as I just wasn't enjoying it any more, but kept going out of a desire to keep fit. Then along came arthritis in my big toe and I had all the excuse I needed to quit.

Enjoy getting back into cycling.

OP
OP
Sheffield_Tiger
Been a while since I did a 40 miler. I know people do much much more but for my third "ride that's not just a direct commute" and 3000ft of ascent including Mam Nick I'm happy with that

24-Edale.jpg

Dave7

Legendary Member
Have to agree with @Globalti . Some people can run for ever with few problems but as an ex runner I go with cycling... far less damaging to the joints.
Even the mighty @Drago had to admit defeat although personally I suspect that was down to Y front rash.

Globalti

Legendary Member
My regular cycling buddy used to run and has tried several times to restart but injured himself every time. Cyclists are notorious for having stiff calves and Achilles tendons.

OP
OP
Sheffield_Tiger
I have rediscovered the downside of cycling...

When I slipped and fell in January trail-running (hate pavement work) on Win Hill, I hankered after a fancy new pair of running shoes that might have been £120

Now I am thinking how great my regular bike is for load-lugging and commuting via Tesco for 48 pouches of cat food but how much nicer a new bike would be for other rides....which would be much more than £120

OR....

Should I press this into service? I was going to try to fix the computer and sell it (retro style but with alloys and aero levers) but I used to go miles and miles and miles on one of these in my youth....

barstaped.jpg

Top Bottom