The proper LBS... like they used to be

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Near where I used to live there was Warlands cycles, Blackburn. Cracking, old school bike shop. Closed now but they supplied my Raleigh mtrax road bike 30 odd years ago being the local Raleigh dealership back when Raleigh were trying to get back from the low point they reached.

Juan Kog

permanently grumpy
Cannot beat a good old fashioned bike shop,
Complete with the grumpy bloke behind the counter. Not one those trendy Velo boutiques with an overpriced artisan coffee shop attached.

OP
OP
MontyVeda

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Wasn't there cycles 2000 across and round the one way system from leisure lakes is now? Just before you got to the now closed down Waterstones.
Cycle 2000 was on George street, opposite the side of the police station. It was a huge space that offered cycle parking and is now a 'gin palace' (AKA, overpriced pub). It was a short lived LBS that stood for Lot's of Bull Sh!t.

There was one on King St just past the tiny bookshop (Atticus), probably where Filbert's Bakery is now. Can't recall its name but got some good bargains when that was closing down including the Ruxon Kaul saddle bag I'm still using

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Near where I used to live there was Warlands cycles, Blackburn. Cracking, old school bike shop. Closed now but they supplied my Raleigh mtrax road bike 30 odd years ago being the local Raleigh dealership back when Raleigh were trying to get back from the low point they reached.

There is/was a Warlands in Oxford as well. Great shop.

CharlesF

Guru
As a child, I grew up in Salisbury Rhodesia. Our local shopping “centre” had Divaros Bros, Fine Fare, butcher, pharmacy. But behind them, in the sanitary lane, was a bike repair place under a tree. He would fix anything, usually with a hammer! Happy memories, I fell off my bike and bent the crank, hammer out and it was fixed; and my parents never knew!!!

Alex321

Veteran
My LBS is Simon's Cycles in Cowbridge.

A small shop, which is absolutely crammed full of bikes and parts for sale, plus bikes he is working on.

If you turn up there, you will almost always find the eponymous Simon outside, working on a bike - he struggles to find room to work on them inside.

Windle

Über Member
Talking of old bike shops ~ I don't suppose any northeast members know whose shop this used to be, the sign (which has the most important bit missing) is on the back of one of the shops at the top of Shields Road, Byker, opposite Algernon Road car park, not that far away from where the famous Hardisty Cycles used to be (now the Edinburgh Bicycle Co-operative).

GOPR0236.JPG

All uphill

Still rolling along
I occasionally think back to the bike repair place in our Norfolk village. It was in some kind of war surplus shed and was 90% full of piled up old bikes.

I wonder what treasures were in that heap. Certainly bikes dating back to the 1920s.

Alex321

Veteran
Talking of old bike shops ~ I don't suppose any northeast members know whose shop this used to be, the sign (which has the most important bit missing) is on the back of one of the shops at the top of Shields Road, Byker, opposite Algernon Road car park, not that far away from where the famous Hardisty Cycles used to be (now the Edinburgh Bicycle Co-operative).

View attachment 701060

Tomms Cycles, according to this https://newcastlephotos.blogspot.com/2007/06/shields-road.html (scroll down to 24th November 2020)

Top Bottom