The pubs

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Slick

Guru
No, it's something I have never done. It's tinnitus (brain damage as a baby and the world usually hisses at me, like high pressure air, although it can also hum, pulse, squeak/whistle and one or two other noises. The classic 'ring' noise is actually quite unusual for me) and everything just merges into itself as one solid block of noise.

I did try to find out about it years ago, but I was young and they were just very snotty at me about it.🤦
I had had it for as long as I could remember anyway, so I just left it (maybe stupidly), but they said that there was not much they could really do about it (maybe true at the time). I now know that is not is not quite true, but, alas... 🤷

Sorry to hear that.

I have hearing loss related tinnitus and was advised to get a hearing aid. Apparently your tinnitus is a match to the exact pitch your hearing loss is most severe. The hearing aid is set exactly to your pitch and your brain thinks you can hear again and stops generating the noise you here. I'm not going to lie, it didn't cure mine, but it did turn it down, and its well proven how isolating hearing loss can be. Make an appointment. :okay:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Sorry to hear that.

I have hearing loss related tinnitus and was advised to get a hearing aid. Apparently your tinnitus is a match to the exact pitch your hearing loss is most severe. The hearing aid is set exactly to your pitch and your brain thinks you can hear again and stops generating the noise you here. I'm not going to lie, it didn't cure mine, but it did turn it down, and its well proven how isolating hearing loss can be. Make an appointment. :okay:
Thanks, I will do.

You see, that now makes me angry at the dismissive way I was treated previous by so called 'professionals'.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Going back in time a long way to 1977, I visited a pub around the block from the technical college I was at one day a week.

http://www.blackburnpast.com/2010/01/peel-hotel-malt-barton-street.html

Every Thursday, the day I was there, I'd have potato pie, peas and gravy and a pint of Strongbow cider. The pie peas and gravy were 20 pence and the pint of Strongbow was 35 pence. All that for a mere 55 pence eh! Mind you, my weekly wages as an apprentice painter and decorator were about 23 quid a week. :rolleyes:

And a tenner out of that went on board and lodgings at my mum and dad's home. Yet I also managed to put a fiver a week into my bank account. :okay:

Last edited:
Stopped by Todmorden today, no bike but did visit the Todmorden Market Tavern (it's in the market). Very good beer and cheap - £3.10 a pint, also selling wine at £9.50 a bottle.

Barman laid out olives for the tables and a tray of cheese from one of the other traders. Also no problem buying a pie or a coffee from one of the other stalls and having it there instead of a pint.

Nice little place, will visit again.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I went to a five minutes walk away pub/bar yesterday. The place was the only one near to that was open. I went in at 4.30 and left at 6.30 after having just two pints. One was White Rat, the other was a pint of Guinness. £3.20 for the White Rat, £4.20 for the Guinness. Nothing wrong with the beer and the pub was nice and warm, but it's one of those place where the regulars hog the bar making getting served a bit difficult. I felt left out of their conversation and there was a difficult moment when a usually tanked up woman decided to stick her hand in my mutt's mouth, then complain when he bites her. He did this time and as usual she said "he's a biter that one, he needs keeping under control". Well don't stick you hand in his mouth then you won't get bitten I replied. How dumb eh! I can't say I'll be gong in again soon. I thought abut going in on New Year's Eve, but one idiot's enough, imagine how many will be out on N.Y.E!! :rolleyes:

Dave7

Legendary Member
For various reasons I go a local pub just once a week.....at lunch time.
There are two close by, totally different but nice in there own way. One has regular guest beers which I do try but they can be 'iffy' eg last week they had Ruddles which should be good but wasn't.
The other pub is a Joseph Holts so you know exactly what you are getting eg thier 5% lager is imo very nice.
I have struck up an unlikely friendship with a neighbour and we go together and enjoy a good 2 hours putting the world to rights.......I look forward to it now.

Chislenko

Veteran
I went to a five minutes walk away pub/bar yesterday. The place was the only one near to that was open. I went in at 4.30 and left at 6.30 after having just two pints. One was White Rat, the other was a pint of Guinness. £3.20 for the White Rat, £4.20 for the Guinness. Nothing wrong with the beer and the pub was nice and warm, but it's one of those place where the regulars hog the bar making getting served a bit difficult. I felt left out of their conversation and there was a difficult moment when a usually tanked up woman decided to stick her hand in my mutt's mouth, then complain when he bites her. He did this time and as usual she said "he's a biter that one, he needs keeping under control". Well don't stick you hand in his mouth then you won't get bitten I replied. How dumb eh! I can't say I'll be gong in again soon. I thought abut going in on New Year's Eve, but one idiot's enough, imagine how many will be out on N.Y.E!! :rolleyes:

I am quite a frequent visitor to pubs but I do have a policy of not going near them during the Christmas / New Year period as they are usually full of "occasional drinkers" who are invariably more trouble than they are worth.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Any of you signed into Facebook can see my former local pub on there. :okay: I say former as I haven't been in since November 2021, due to not really going in pubs now and difficulty in getting to the place now, due to mobility problems....as In I can't walk the nearly mile from my flat to the place and back.

nc_ohc=qswF3psVPfIAX_9JsDq&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-1.jpg

nc_ohc=MtyZ45paPd8AX_yN-W4&_nc_ht=scontent.fman2-2.jpg

View: https://www.facebook.com/photo?fbid=743115781260011&set=pcb.743115937926662

Last edited:
Any of you signed into Facebook can see my former local pub on there. :okay: I say former as I haven't been in since November 2021, due to not really going in pubs now and difficulty in getting to the place now, due to mobility problems....as In I can't walk the nearly mile from my flat to the place and back.

You'll have to say which one as theres more than one Victoria in Accrington, and the one I found isn't this one though I am pleased to see it re-opened recently after a refurbishment.

Beautiful walls in the one you linked BTW

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
Barman laid out olives for the tables and a tray of cheese
Reminds me of a pub we used to go to in Auckland after work on a Friday. The beer wasn't the cheapest, but they brought out trays of sausages, cheese and pineapple on sticks and other little nibbles. It was packed with office workers and was a very clever way of keeping you there buying beer instead of going home for tea!

Top Bottom