The Queue for a Takeaway

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
The Chinese is called The Princess Rose and the only chip shop I can think of down by the bridge and river is the one next to the station, although there easily could have been another.

I didn't grow up in Balloch, so I don't know the place as well I otherwise would. The only petrol station I can think of was on the other side of the river, next to the boatyard and Balloch House Hotel, but it has long gone now and flats now occupy the site.

I lived in Cardross and then Bowling for a few years so knew the area fairly well through cycling around the area. The Chinese was indeed the Princess Rose but I would never have remembered that. The chip shop was down near the station and the filling station was on the other side of the river. It was owned at that time byTommy Linn who sold out and came to live near me here for a while before moving to Oban.
A few of the Bowling distillery employees lived in the Vale as well and I was involved in the establishment of the Loch Lomond distillery in the old Turkey Red factory.
Can you remember the name of the car factory on the main road nearly opposite the hospital entry? My memory has gone awol as well.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I lived in Cardross and then Bowling for a few years so knew the area fairly well through cycling around the area. The Chinese was indeed the Princess Rose but I would never have remembered that. The chip shop was down near the station and the filling station was on the other side of the river. It was owned at that time byTommy Linn who sold out and came to live near me here for a while before moving to Oban.
A few of the Bowling distillery employees lived in the Vale as well and I was involved in the establishment of the Loch Lomond distillery in the old Turkey Red factory.
Can you remember the name of the car factory on the main road nearly opposite the hospital entry? My memory has gone awol as well.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argyll_(car)

The factory is also sometimes referred to as The Torpedo Factory.

Nowadays it has shopping outlets, but the quality is generally a bit naff.

As for the Distilery at Antartex, I'll need to have a tour of the place some time. If they do tours that is.
The distilery at Bowling is no longer there, sadly.

Last edited:

tyred

Legendary Member

I saw the take away near the station and had thought about eating there but just ate at the hotel where I was staying. Prices were reasonable there.

I saw the car factory too, I went looking for it when I was returning to Glasgow. I have an interest in the history of the motor industry but must admit I'd never heard of Argyll Motor Works. I had met an old man who was walking in the grounds of the castle who told me about the car factory and many other bits and pieces about the area and pointed out things of interest. It was an interesting conversation but I can't remember all he said.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argyll_(car)

The factory is also sometimes referred to as The Torpedo Factory.

Nowadays it has shopping outlets, but the quality is generally a bit naff.

As for the Distilery at Antartex, I'll need to have a tour of the place some time. If they do tours that is.
The distilery at Bowling is no longer there, sadly.

I think the factory premises were used during the war to make torpedos hence the name. I agree about the shopping centre.
The Argyll cars were apparently top of the range of their time.
The distillery is just before Antartex unless they had moved. No idea if they do tours but the old Turkey Red place was taken over and used for blending and bottling among other things.The distillery is not quite like traditional Scotch stills with more automation and different type columns.
I could see the end of Littlemill at Bowling coming as it was taken over by a shower of Americans and subsequently somebody more interested in property development for short term gain. I bailed out about then to a new distillery and new challenges.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I think the factory premises were used during the war to make torpedos hence the name. I agree about the shopping centre.
The Argyll cars were apparently top of the range of their time.
The distillery is just before Antartex unless they had moved. No idea if they do tours but the old Turkey Red place was taken over and used for blending and bottling among other things.The distillery is not quite like traditional Scotch stills with more automation and different type columns.
I could see the end of Littlemill at Bowling coming as it was taken over by a shower of Americans and subsequently somebody more interested in property development for short term gain. I bailed out about then to a new distillery and new challenges.

Yeah the factory (what's left of it anyway) is a beautiful building and it could be so much more, but, alas, this is West Dunbartonshire, not Glasgow.
When I think of Loch Lomond Distilery, I just think of the big ugly silos and so on next to Antartex, but I realise there is more to it than that, with the warehouses, etc. I didn't mean it was in Antartex itself. The shops in there have been a bit touristy and crap for years too - Yet another opportunity kinda' wasted in the area along with the factory.

Lomond Shores is ok, but even there... I guess it's like everywhere

Last edited:

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
The bit I don't get is the fast food aspect. If you're out and about and need food, fair enough, but some will leave their home and drive to the take away, wait for service, and then drive home again.

Surely it is faster, more convenient, healthier and cheaper just to rustle up something in the kitchen at home. :wacko:

yeah but we all like a chippy tea. :hungry:

Slick

Guru
Yeah the factory (what's left of it anyway) is a beautiful building and it could be so much more, but, alas, this is West Dunbartonshire, not Glasgow.
When I think of Loch Lomond Distilery, I just think of the big ugly silos and so on next to Antartex, but I realise there is more to it than that, with the warehouses, etc. I didn't mean it was in Antartex itself. The shops in there have been a bit touristy and crap for years too - Yet another opportunity kinda' wasted in the area along with the factory.

Lomond Shores is ok, but even there... I guess it's like everywhere

Got to love the front end of the car that's carved into the stonework.

Cracking building going to waste.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Got to love the front end of the car that's carved into the stonework.

Cracking building going to waste.

I guess the counter argument would be that it is better than it having been demolished completely, but the last time I was there, the shops on offer were pretty dire and the cafe/eating area was crap.
It was good when it first opened, but it then declined.

Maybe it has improved now, but the main problem is that most people just go to Lomond Shores instead, so I doubt it.

Slick

Guru
I guess the counter argument would be that it is better than it having been demolished completely, but the last time I was there, the shops on offer were pretty dire and the cafe/eating area was crap.
It was good when it first opened, but it then declined.

Maybe it has improved now, but the main problem is that most people just go to Lomond Shores instead, so I doubt it.

I think your right, as despite the impressive facade, I've never actually been in it.

Top Bottom