The Queue for a Takeaway

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Walking does indeed seem to be alien to Americans.

After completing New York Marathon a few years ago I walked from the finish, in Central Park, back to the hotel on Times Square. Hotel staff were incredulous, not that I’d ran a marathon but that I’d walked ’that distance!”.

Yebbut in NY at least the alternative isn't driving. It's the subway or maybe a cab.

And to be honest it's what? 20-30 blocks from Central Park - depends where in the park the finish was. I'd get the subway for that if I'd just run a marathon! :smile:

NY isn't proper America. It's quite normal in some ways. Or it was when I lived there 30-odd years ago.

Chris S

Legendary Member
Yebbut in NY at least the alternative isn't driving. It's the subway or maybe a cab.

And to be honest it's what? 20-30 blocks from Central Park - depends where in the park the finish was. I'd get the subway for that if I'd just run a marathon! :smile:

It's between 1 and 4 miles, depending on where the finish was.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I wouldn't really, I've got a couple of wee loop rides that involve passing that one, although if I'm stopping in Balloch, I usually head for one of the wee cafes down at the bridge. :okay:

Yeah there are some nice eateries and hostleries - The Balloch House Hotel and the place that used to be 'Corries' was favourites.
'Corries' now has a different name (and owners), but I can't remember what it's called now. 'Mavi' or something like that.

I spent a few nights in Balloch recently and didn't notice there was a McDonald's. I feel I missed out on something!

It's at the bottom of the hill, just off (west) of the roundabout with the road that goes up to the A82 (where there's another roundabout). If that makes sense.
There's also a popular and long standing Chinese restaurant nearby, along with a Marsdens Hotel and restaurant just a tad further along the road too.

... To be fair, you didn't miss much!

tyred

Legendary Member
Yeah there are some nice eateries and hostleries - The Balloch House Hotel and the place that used to be 'Corries' was favourites.
'Corries' now has a different name (and owners), but I can't remember what it's called now. 'Mavi' or something like that.

It's at the bottom of the hill, just off (west) of the roundabout with the road that goes up to the A82 (where there's another roundabout). If that makes sense.
There's also a popular and long standing Chinese restaurant nearby, along with a Marsdens Hotel and restaurant just a tad further along the road too.

I had been nowhere near the roundabouts. I had cycled from Glasgow on NCN 7, took a boat trip on the Loch, cycled to Drymen and Balmaha along the NCN, visited the Maid of the Loch and spent a lot of time pottering around the grounds of the castle. I stayed in the Lomond Park Hotel which was the cheapest place I could find and had my evening meal there too. I had planned to meet up with a cousin who lives not too far away but he had to change plans.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I had been nowhere near the roundabouts. I had cycled from Glasgow on NCN 7, took a boat trip on the Loch, cycled to Drymen and Balmaha along the NCN, visited the Maid of the Loch and spent a lot of time pottering around the grounds of the castle. I stayed in the Lomond Park Hotel which was the cheapest place I could find and had my evening meal there too. I had planned to meet up with a cousin who lives not too far away but he had to change plans.

It is at the top of the road where your hotel was actually, albeit out of sight around the corner.

Anyway, not that that matters, but I hope you had a nice time!

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Sad on so many levels.

We live in a convenience obsessed society. When I was a nipper in the 70's, I think there was only one MacDonald's in the UK, now hundreds. Getting junk food is too slow by going into the restaurant for some so they can get handed a burger from the rear window and to get their (presumably fat) backsides out of a car. That's 'convenience ' ie. laziness. And escooters....transport for the bone idle who have a need for speed but can't be a**ed to walk or pedal.

captain nemo1701

Is there a "foot passenger" part of that McD? Wouldn't it be quicker to drive straight into the car park, hop out, and buy your feast with all the other walking losers at the counter?

Once came out of the cinema at 11pm with a mate (who was pretty obese). The car park was virtually empty, he wanted a burger so we drove to the MacDonald's. As we approached, I offered to get out and buy them. He insisted on going via the drive-thru as it'd be quicker. We got stuck in a small jam of about 5 cars, obviously the car at the front picking up a mind-bogglingly expensive and time-consuming order. I could have got them faster on foot....but we must worship the mighty god of convenience.

tyred

Legendary Member
The bit I don't get is the fast food aspect. If you're out and about and need food, fair enough, but some will leave their home and drive to the take away, wait for service, and then drive home again.

Surely it is faster, more convenient, healthier and cheaper just to rustle up something in the kitchen at home. :wacko:

Drago

Legendary Member
The bit I don't get is the fast food aspect. If you're out and about and need food, fair enough, but some will leave their home and drive to the take away, wait for service, and then drive home again.

Surely it is faster, more convenient, healthier and cheaper just to rustle up something in the kitchen at home. :wacko:

Indeed. People seem prepared to put a ridiculous amount of effort into attempts to avoid expending any effort.

Alex321

Veteran

Not always. It depends on what you have available, how good you are at cooking, and various other factors.

Probably about once a month or so on average, we will have a fish-and-chips takeaway, and yes that means driving (3 miles) into Cowbridge to get it. Sometimes that is because neither my wife nor I can be bothered cooking that day, more often it is just that is what we actually fancy to eat that day.

I've never done similar with burger type "meals", we will occasionally have a Burger King when out, but never going to get one from home. I think 3-4 times we have got a take away pizza from home, and we moderately often get an Indian or Chinese takeaway (but I don't really class those as "fast food").

captain nemo1701

Outdoors fast food for me is usually a banana. No cooking, can be carried & nature already wrapped it up for you :okay:. during lockdown i recall seeing like a mile long traffic jam I think in either Glasgow or Edinburgh for some fast food joint. I calculated that those at the rear, assuming a 2-3 minute service, would take over an hour to get their 'fast' food....

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
It's between 1 and 4 miles, depending on where the finish was.

Yes, Times square is on 42nd and the park starts around the low 60s.(Actually 59th) So it's at least 20 blocks.
I just checked and it's about 20 blocks to the mile.
So we're both right.

Still further than I was capable of walking after I ran my one and only marathon!

oldwheels

Legendary Member

That takes me back a few years to when we stopped at the caravan site at Balloch and we often ate at the Chinese which was a bit variable but generally not too bad. There was also a chippie down near the bridge I think but my memory of that is fading. Tommy Linn’s filling station was just near it and I often filled up with diesel there before heading north.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
That takes me back a few years to when we stopped at the caravan site at Balloch and we often ate at the Chinese which was a bit variable but generally not too bad. There was also a chippie down near the bridge I think but my memory of that is fading. Tommy Linn’s filling station was just near it and I often filled up with diesel there before heading north.

The Chinese is called The Princess Rose and the only chip shop I can think of down by the bridge and river is the one next to the station, although there easily could have been another.

I didn't grow up in Balloch, so I don't know the place as well I otherwise would. The only petrol station I can think of was on the other side of the river, next to the boatyard and Balloch House Hotel, but it has long gone now and flats now occupy the site.

Top Bottom