The Rail Enthusiast thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Smart livery too. Are there more loco-hauled services in the UK now? Then I left it was all D/EMU's.

Marylebone to Birmingham/Kidderminster are hauled by class 68's.

http://www.leightonlogs.org/ChilternLHdec15.htm

I noticed that transpennine have some nice new Driving Trailr units as well.It's good to see some "real" trains again.

Over here the policy seems to be to have locomotives and use electric as much as possible, so trains starting under the wires will have electric locomotives and swap to diesel when they move to a non-electriied region. The advantage for the company is that they only need two expensive locomotives which can swap over, and that they aren't pulling a dead weight around all the time.

robjh

Legendary Member
Smart livery too. Are there more loco-hauled services in the UK now? Then I left it was all D/EMU's.
Fast trains between Norwich and London Liverpool Street are hauled by class 90s (picture below), with a driving trailer at the northern end to allow push-pull operation.
Class 37-hauled trains pop up every now and then across the network, as a stop-gap until new trains become available. I imagine their leasing costs are quite low, and they are run in pairs as there are few usable passing loops remaining at stations. They are currently operating AFAIK out of Norwich, and on the Cumbrian Coast line (Carlisle to Barrow in Furness) but in recent years they've also worked on the Welsh valley lines and in the south-west.
20180914 Norfolk ride (21).jpg

Last edited:
That Cl 90 combo looks smart. What do they use for the DVT's?

...there are few usable passing loops remaining at stations.
View attachment 430554

Good long-term thinking from someone there. Most termini here, even tiny stations with railcar services, have passing loops. I remember once in Füssen where a DVT/loco combo was operating and the DVT failed. The loco ran around and hauled the train back to the junction.

Would have been nice if they hadn't faffed about for 20 minutes first, meaning we missed our connection anyway, but still, at least we were able to leave...

robjh

Legendary Member
That Cl 90 combo looks smart. What do they use for the DVT's?

Good long-term thinking from someone there. Most termini here, even tiny stations with railcar services, have passing loops. I remember once in Füssen where a DVT/loco combo was operating and the DVT failed. The loco ran around and hauled the train back to the junction.

Would have been nice if they hadn't faffed about for 20 minutes first, meaning we missed our connection anyway, but still, at least we were able to leave...
The DVTs are class 82s (for some reason they are have a locomotive class number). I only have this picture of an 82 from Kings Cross a few years ago (it's the one on the right!)
20130902 Kings Cross (2).JPG

Levo-Lon

Guru
Saw the flying Scotsman today while cycling home
https://nvr.org.uk/product.php/5/flying-scotsman

I arrived by local train into Birmingham New Street this afternoon 17:30 to find class 67005 Queen's Messenger awaiting departure from platform 2. It was definitely not the royal train as the coaches were scruffy mark 1's and there was a quite a few passengers on board. I have tried googling to find out which rail tour it was and I think it may have been the Cradle Of A Nation rail tour returning from Shrewsbury, but I cannot be sure.

http://www.ukrailtours.com/product/cradle-of-a-nation/

IMG_20180929_173651576.jpg

IMG_20180929_173409750.jpg

IMG_20180929_173746761.jpg

Normanton Station

Wooden buffer-beams!, & some nice stonework
I'm not sure how old that section of the station is, but it's on a 1905 OS map, as a 'bay'

Not the best images, as a low Sun, & an iPhone, at about 16:30 today

42959051_10215660035686214_4960382151057997824_n.jpg

42558816_10215660033086149_7258523656844738560_n.jpg

The foot-crossing has now gone, replaced with a h-u-g-e footbridge, but the buffers/bay are at the end of the pedestrian path, where it joins the car-park
http://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/853474

Top Bottom