The Rail Enthusiast thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Locomotives
John O'Gaunts
('top end' of) Rothwell
(south-east of Leeds)

Along the A639 Pontefract Road, which becomes Leeds Road (& crosses jct 44/M1)

View attachment 475882 View attachment 475884 View attachment 475883

They're all along the red scroll-work
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3589780

There was a couple of big Collieries behind the houses, between Leeds Road & the River Aire

AuroraSaab

Veteran
Yes, I was born in Rothwell (it's in the Doomsday Book... Rothwell, not my birth) but moved to Manchester for Uni and have lived there ever since, apart from a couple of years after college.

I went to Rodillian School, but my sister went to Royds. Both were pretty rubbish schools in the late '70's and early '80's. Often walked home via Carlton as my friend lived near Rothwell fire station.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Locomotives
John O'Gaunts
('top end' of) Rothwell
(south-east of Leeds)

There was a couple of big Collieries behind the houses, between Leeds Road & the River Aire

I have toyed with the idea of cycling up to JoG for a pic of the bike with that sign for the A-Z thread, but can't summon up the enthusiasm for the not very cycle friendly roads I'd have to use to get there.
Maybe one day. ^_^

Yes, I was born in Rothwell (it's in the Doomsday Book... Rothwell, not my birth) but moved to Manchester for Uni and have lived there ever since, apart from a couple of years after college.
And had an inferior, smaller, less populous neighbour that we now know as Leeds...………...

I went to Rodillian School, but my sister went to Royds. Both were pretty rubbish schools in the late '70's and early '80's. Often walked home via Carlton as my friend lived near Rothwell fire station.
I certainly remember the old Fire Station, & the (was it?) Civil Defence building next door to it

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace

Archie_tect

De Skieven Architek... aka Penfold + Horace

I started at Rodillian when it was still the Grammar School in 1969 even before they built the M62 through the playing fields!

I sang in the choir in that church until I was 13... what a gang of irreligious toe-rags we must have looked... the choir master was the local bookie!!
She's finished now, as she's off to University, but coincidentally my daughter has sang in Wakefield Cathedral Choir, for the past 10 years

I started at Rodillian when it was still the Grammar School in 1969 even before they built the M62 through the playing fields!
My (paternal) uncle went there too, in the mid-late 50's
And, the other week I rode along the 'greenway' (ie; the East & West Yorkshire Union Railway trackbed) from Long Thorpe Lane through to (the site of) Rothwell (Station)

Locomotives
John O'Gaunts
('top end' of) Rothwell
(south-east of Leeds)

The 'East & West Yorkshire Union Railway' (as it was, when laid) went under Pontefract Road at this point, to service Rothwell Haigh (aka Fanny Pit) Colliery, via a spur
https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=15&lat=53.7635&lon=-1.4801&layers=10&b=1

Scroll down to Rose Pit, for the topic photograph

(Rose & Fanny/Francesca being the daughter of one of the owners)

AuroraSaab

Veteran
Strange to think that all these small towns were initially tiny pit villages that grew into one. We used to ride along the old railway cinder track and ride our bikes up and down the slag heaps. The whole area suffers from subsidence from the mine shafts. We turned up at my junior school (Rothwell Victoria) one day to find a huge mining shaft had opened up on the playing field. As I recall, they put a small ramshakle wooden fence round it and tape between posts a bit further back lol. It was later capped off.

I remember the Lofthouse pit disaster quite well even though I was only 8 or 9.

Top Bottom