The Rail Enthusiast thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
More images from Esslingen.

A class 111 pushing a semi-local train toward Stuttgart. For some reason this platform is on the fast line. The station was extensively rebuilt a couple of years ago and I was expecting that these platforms would be removed to keep people well away from the fast moving trains.

2019_09_19_Esslingen_13.JPG

A few minutes later a class 146 on yet another local train sitting in the platform to allow an ICE 4 to pass on the fast line. This layout seems more sensible as it allows fast trains to belt through at speed.

Note to Deutsche Bahn though, if you really want to make white trains, you need to clean them a bit more frequently.

2019_09_19_Esslingen_12.JPG

Type 187 electric locomotive on a freight service, this is the latest locomotive in the TRAXX family from Bombadier which are all over Europe in various forms. DB has recently signed a contract with Bombardier for 450 TRAXX locomotives of various types. There was some talk of having a "last mile" module with a diesel engine bit I think that's been cancelled.

2019_09_19_Esslingen_16.JPG

I still have some pictures of my beloved Br128's. You have been warned...

sheddy

Legendary Member

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
OK then.

Holds hands up..............I used to go chasing Class 50's when ever I got the chance. 50021 Rodney seemed to follow me everywhere.
I had all the 50s except Hood. Luckily it's preserved, so I've seen it now.

I've actually driven Defiance at the SVR, and I have an EE builder's plate from Courageous.

I also had every single class 253 (Western Region HSTs, later class 43).

I'm probably on a register somewhere now.

London Transport Museum Depot Open Day, Acton.
District Line R49 driving motor car

Metropolitan Line A stock driving motor car

One end of the fully restored and operational 1938 Tube stock 4-car set

The Other End

Close up on front of pre-1938 stock cab

Original Waterloo and City line car, in Network South East livery.

And finally, a battery locomotive, number L35

There's lots more odds and ends to look at, and of course, the ubiquitous expensive shop, but it was a good visit.
Except: why do kids have to squeal so much?

Belgium has been doing some nice station modernisations lately.

Mind you, they needed it.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Consultation has opened on building a new station at the White Rose Shopping Centre in Leeds, on the main trans Pennine line to Manchester.

https://www.yourvoice.westyorks-ca.gov.uk/whiteroserailstation

A couple of concerns spring to mind, other than the over arching vagueness of the proposal and any answers given. Firstly, the new station would be just a few hundred yards along the line from the existing station at Cottingley. I'd imagine then that Cottingley would close - given its location tucked away at the back of a housing estate with frequent bus services, lack of parking and current poor levels of service it seems fair to imagine it's not a very busy station.
However, the new station would actually be 450 yards from the White Rose Shopping Centre - it might be more accurate to call it the Arlington Business Park station. Given this, and that the "proposed level of service" is just two trains per hour, will customers who don't have cars be persuaded to switch from the multiple frequent bus services that already service the shopping centre?

Older local readers might recall that apparently the developer offered to pay for a railway station when the shopping centre was built (20 yrs ago?), but this was rejected by the railway authorities at the time...

classic33

Leg End Member
Northern(And other Arriva services) may be destined to go back under government control.

Which given they also operate the stations, in some places, may bring fresh problems.

classic33

Leg End Member
Consultation has opened on building a new station at the White Rose Shopping Centre in Leeds, on the main trans Pennine line to Manchester.

https://www.yourvoice.westyorks-ca.gov.uk/whiteroserailstation

A couple of concerns spring to mind, other than the over arching vagueness of the proposal and any answers given. Firstly, the new station would be just a few hundred yards along the line from the existing station at Cottingley. I'd imagine then that Cottingley would close - given its location tucked away at the back of a housing estate with frequent bus services, lack of parking and current poor levels of service it seems fair to imagine it's not a very busy station.
However, the new station would actually be 450 yards from the White Rose Shopping Centre - it might be more accurate to call it the Arlington Business Park station. Given this, and that the "proposed level of service" is just two trains per hour, will customers who don't have cars be persuaded to switch from the multiple frequent bus services that already service the shopping centre?

Older local readers might recall that apparently the developer offered to pay for a railway station when the shopping centre was built (20 yrs ago?), but this was rejected by the railway authorities at the time...
A few times since then as well
https://southleedslife.com/new-rail-station-white-rose-centre/

The money set aside for the Leeds tram system, may be providing the funding for the station. It's to be spent in the next tax year.

Top Bottom