The Rail Enthusiast thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

robjh

Legendary Member
The HST farewell tour on the ECML passing through Arlesey in Bedfordshire this afternoon on its way to Kings Cross.

classic33

Leg End Member

classic33

Leg End Member
I've often wondered, if there are people building new build steam locomotives, why no-one has gone the whole hog and built an entirely "modern" steam loco, a new design using the principles of Chapelon and De Porta, in the overall design of a Garrett, combining the best of all design experience to see what a truly modern steam loco could do.
Not like 60163 Tornado then?

Or more like https://5at.co.uk

Last edited:
True enough. Hindsight on the weaker areas was handy.

I was thinking it would be interesting to have a fresh start, using the best platform available, and then build in modern design and technology. I thought of a Garratt because it would be more than equal to the task of hauling heavy trains at high speeds.

Only problem would be that you'd need a private coal mine to fuel the thing of course, unless you can run it on old chip fat...

classic33

Leg End Member
I was thinking it would be interesting to have a fresh start, using the best platform available, and then build in modern design and technology. I thought of a Garratt because it would be more than equal to the task of hauling heavy trains at high speeds.

Only problem would be that you'd need a private coal mine to fuel the thing of course, unless you can run it on old chip fat...
You could always have a fireless steam loco. Local goods yard still had two in the mid 1970's.

Top Bottom