The Rail Enthusiast thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Tues 7th

Senior Management was undertaking some consultancy work at Scarborough Hospital
I arranged for a days annual-leave & drove her up (thus earning brownie points?)
We were up there, before 08:45 (with her meeting starting at 09:30)
Once dropped off, I had a few hours (not sure how many it would be) exploring....
Normally I consider Scarborough to be 'Blackpool-on-the- North Sea', but out of season today, it was quite enjoyable

11 various buildings/structures. from HERE

I also went to the railway station

499932 499933

Platform 1 isn't the straightest of line......…

Attachments

• DSCF1789.JPG
    DSCF1789.JPG
    130.3 KB · Views: 1

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Met some friends in Hebden Bridge for lunch and a couple of drinks yesterday, so let the train take the strain.

New 195 units both ways, 3 car on the way out, 2 car on the way back.
They're better than what went before, but so they should be given the age of the other stock.
Not without problems though. It was difficult to connect to the wi-fi on both trains.
Both trains also had issues with the info screens and automated announcements, for example stating the wrong next station (Low Moor as we approached Bradford Int) and several times announced that the platform was too short and only certain doors would open... including at Halifax.

Despite leaving Leeds on time and not experiencing any notable hold ups the outbound service was running late by the time we arrived at Hebden Bridge.

More annoying was that I went for the 16:42 home, which was cancelled. The following 16:52 was running several minutes late and was unsurprisingly full and standing all the way to Leeds.

classic33

Leg End Member
Met some friends in Hebden Bridge for lunch and a couple of drinks yesterday, so let the train take the strain.

New 195 units both ways, 3 car on the way out, 2 car on the way back.
They're better than what went before, but so they should be given the age of the other stock.
Not without problems though. It was difficult to connect to the wi-fi on both trains.
Both trains also had issues with the info screens and automated announcements, for example stating the wrong next station (Low Moor as we approached Bradford Int) and several times announced that the platform was too short and only certain doors would open... including at Halifax.

Despite leaving Leeds on time and not experiencing any notable hold ups the outbound service was running late by the time we arrived at Hebden Bridge.

More annoying was that I went for the 16:42 home, which was cancelled. The following 16:52 was running several minutes late and was unsurprisingly full and standing all the way to Leeds.
Normal service has been resumed then.

Halifax to Bradford should be 14:57, Bradford to Halifax should be 13:11

The curve on Platform 1 at Halifax is causing problems, so most are stopping further along where it's straighter.

I had a potter about today around the Castleford/Pontefract area
Including portions of the 'Wakefield Wheel' & a couple of bridleways

I followed this, but with no map, from #3 to #6, then circumnavigated Pontefract Park/Racecourse

I've seen this bridge before, when ParkRunning there, but never photographed it before
It's the Pontefract Monkhill - 'Xscape' - Castleford line (built as part of the 'Lancashire & Yorkshire Methley Line')

Seen from the other side; https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3680430

After passing under the M62, in the underpass, it's an immediate (pedestrian) crossing
Taken from the Park
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/587138

Stop, Look & Listen.....
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3009069

It's a heck of a drag, up to Monkhill!!!

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Normal service has been resumed then.

Halifax to Bradford should be 14:57, Bradford to Halifax should be 13:11

The curve on Platform 1 at Halifax is causing problems, so most are stopping further along where it's straighter.

While waiting to board at Leeds there was a noticeable gap to the platform, and step up, compared to a 14x or 15x. Not huge, but noticeable.

Meanwhile in south Germany:

2020_01_12_Siebenmühlental_28.JPG

Construction of the new high speed line from Stuttgart-Munich continues, causing chaos because it is effectively a 100km long construction site. Unfortunately no-one told the construction company that not everyone travels by car so cycle routes are closed without warning.

This is where the line crosses the Stuttgart-Tübingen main line, there's a chord under construction behind the camera which means the main bypass through the town I just cycled through is blocked

This raises the question of why it needed building in the first place.

Notice absence of fence alongside railway. Strangely this does not cause death and maiming on an industrial scale as citizens generally manage to stay off the track despite absence of a physical barrier.

Last edited:

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Bearing in mind the various issues they've been having, that brings up worrying mental images.

:laugh:

It does of course raise the question as to why Northern were allowed to order 2-car units considering the long standing overcrowding issues they face across the network. Obviously it's down to cost, but it's something rail users will now have to live with for the next 20 years.

I think that 4 car is the maximum train length for some of the platforms on the Calder Valley ( @classic33 can probably confirm that) and they really need to run at least 3 car trains on all services. Too many services are still using aging 2 car trains. There simply isn't room on the trains to take anyone else out of their cars as thing stand.

classic33

Leg End Member

It does of course raise the question as to why Northern were allowed to order 2-car units considering the long standing overcrowding issues they face across the network. Obviously it's down to cost, but it's something rail users will now have to live with for the next 20 years.

I think that 4 car is the maximum train length for some of the platforms on the Calder Valley ( @classic33 can probably confirm that) and they really need to run at least 3 car trains on all services. Too many services are still using aging 2 car trains. There simply isn't room on the trains to take anyone else out of their cars as thing stand.
It's the newer "stations", Bramley & Low Moor(wooden platforms) that have dictated the length of the trains.

New Pudsey was built to take a six car unit. Bradford Interchange, platforms 1 & 2, were built for 8 plus separate loco. Halifax has taken 17 coaches, with a steam hauled service.

They're looking at reopening Platform 3, Halifax, from the bridge and operating 4 coach units from it.

classic33

Leg End Member

The seating, allow more on board.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
It's the newer "stations", Bramley & Low Moor(wooden platforms) that have dictated the length of the trains.

New Pudsey was built to take a six car unit. Bradford Interchange, platforms 1 & 2, were built for 8 plus separate loco. Halifax has taken 17 coaches, with a steam hauled service.

They're looking at reopening Platform 3, Halifax, from the bridge and operating 4 coach units from it.

Thanks.

The plans to reopen the long closed platform at Halifax sums up the lack of understanding the authorities have regarding public transport. There have been similar calls to reopen long closed suburban stations in Leeds recently too, all of which are pointless until they sort out capacity issues in the network across the region. There is no point having new stations or platforms when there are insufficient trains to carry the passengers they already have.

Top Bottom