The Rail Enthusiast thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
As this thread seems to have a lot of former railways or closed lines, here's one I found at Vogelsheim in France:

2020_07_12_Neuf-Brisach_22.JPG

This was supposed to be part of an international link between Paris and Vienna, planned in one of those brief windows of the 19th century where these two countries were not trying to kill each other. Of course that didn't last long which is one reason why this is now one end of a preserved railway and not a through station.

On the other hand it does come complete with its own post van:

2020_07_12_Neuf-Brisach_23.JPG

On the other side of the river, the line is now a part of the revitalised local transport network, with these shiny new trains:

2020_07_12_Neuf-Brisach_37.JPG

The black and yellow is the colour of our state, who are paying for the trains...

2020_07_12_Neuf-Brisach_38.JPG

2020_07_12_Neuf-Brisach_08.JPG

I still preferred the line as it was pre-electrification, when they had single railcars, some of which seem to still be running:

2020_07_12_Neuf-Brisach_10.JPG

On the other hand it's nice to see rural lines being updated and getting a better service...

2020_07_12_Neuf-Brisach_36.JPG

There are some interesting stations here as well; I will return to this subject.

Mike_P

Guru
Cycled pass today what I presume is an original crossing keepers hut at Coxwold on the long closed PIlmoor-Gilling-Helmsley/Malton railway although clearly the 100 mph speed restriction sign beyond is not.

robjh

Legendary Member
I travelled on this class 313 from Seaford to Lewes yesterday. They were built in 1976-77, so this set is at least 43 years old. The only older working passenger stock on British railways I can think of is possibly some HST sets with their Mark 3 coaches, but the HSTs were in production until 1982, and of course the IOW ex-tube 1938 stock.
Any other passenger stock this age still running?

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I travelled on this class 313 from Seaford to Lewes yesterday. They were built in 1976-77, so this set is at least 43 years old. The only older working passenger stock on British railways I can think of is possibly some HST sets with their Mark 3 coaches, but the HSTs were in production until 1982, and of course the IOW ex-tube 1938 stock.
Any other passenger stock this age still running?
View attachment 537360
In the UK, other than heritage trains running special services, I think not.

plustwos

Thanks for the correction.

Another quirk of GWR names in the broad gauge days is that some of them were curiously spelt (Sampson and Goliah, for instance). The theory is that the pattern makers and foundry workers at Swindon were barely literate and, once the mistake was realised, no-one wanted to pay for a new casting.

Sampson was a Vulcan Foundry loco built for the South Devon, one of four Tornado Class. And Goliah was the ship which laid the first cable between Britain and the continent. Hardly likely to be a Swindon mistake I think. Senior management were more likely to be classisists then than now.

Ken

Thursday 13th August

Horbury West Curve'(?)
(adjacent to) Hartley Bank Woods
Calder Grove

Spanning the Calder & Hebble Navigation Canal

Looking towards the north-west & Addingford/'Healey Mills' yard
I didn't ride much further as the ballast wasn't a good surface for '28' tyres
I can cope with most , but this was too rough & I didn't want to tear sidewalls

On the bridge, over the Calder

Seen from the towpath; https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/342579

Looking back at the over-bridge (I'd descended from that)
Plus a small history segment; https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/6184413

Crigglestone Viaduct, that leads to this bridge/section
And, if anyone knows the area, it's the one that crosses Denby Dale Road, at Calder Grove (just south-east of jct 39/M1) on the A636

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/193164

Last edited:
View attachment 542937
New trains being readied for the Isle of Wight, to take over from the venerable 1938 Tube stock that's now on its last legs.
These are ex-District Line D78 sub-surface stock, some of which have been converted into DMUs. These are the first that I know of to continue being all-electric.
The old stock is part of the charm of that truncated network

Last edited:
Top Bottom