The Rail Enthusiast thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
29210_13_Alpirsbach_30.jpg

Yesterday I came back from Stuttgart a different way, catching the train to Alpirsbach, which is on the eastern side of the Black Forest. Some of these railcars are now in this new livery for Baden-Württemberg. SWEG is the "Südwesteisenbahngesellschaft" or "South west railway group" a mix of small, mostly rural local railways owned by state and county governments.

29210_13_Alpirsbach_31.jpg

The Offenburg-Freudenstadt train leaving.

29210_13_Alpirsbach_37.jpg

A small display of three railcars on the now defunct Schiltach-Schramberg railway, with some information panels containing quotations from people who knew or worked on the railways locally.

29210_13_Alpirsbach_38.jpg

From these information panels I learned that Schiltach used to be the border between Württemberg and Baden, which is why the station (still in use) is quite big: there used to be a customs post here, and trains would change engines and crews. The states were largely independent until World War 1 and nominally separate until 1945.

The goods and probably once customs shed is now a farmers cooperative:

29210_13_Alpirsbach_39.jpg

Last edited:

midlife

Guru
Silly question. Could somebody please look at the Carlisle to settle timetable for me and let me know when the steam trains are going through Wetheral.

We can see the line from our house and thought we would walk to the line and watch the steam trains. We are 5 minutes from Wetheral station

I think I miss read the timetables as between 3.15 and 4pm today we saw only two diesels.

Silly question. Could somebody please look at the Carlisle to settle timetable for me and let me know when the steam trains are going through Wetheral.

We can see the line from our house and thought we would walk to the line and watch the steam trains. We are 5 minutes from Wetheral station

I think I miss read the timetables as between 3.15 and 4pm today we saw only two diesels.

Wetherall doesn’t seem to be a timing point but does this help for future reference?

https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/se...21-08-18/1430-1730?stp=WVS&show=all&order=wtt

Ahh, I see it was cancelled
https://www.railadvent.co.uk/steam-locomotives-on-the-mainline

Last edited:

midlife

Guru

The return of the Earl, it has been to vale of rheidol railway for an overhaul. But they have a 1 ft 11+3⁄4 in gauge and Earl is 2 ft 6 inch, so it could not be tested before its return. I was lucky enough to be working on the rail side when the first run pulling passengers train, the red flag stops the train from passing us unexpected, we hold up a yellow flag to show he can continue, we were waving it frantically, as the reason he was stopping was not the red flag ewe can see the real reason but we couldn't to start with.

Sorry I should have said this in the Llanfair - Welshpool light railway at Sylfaen where the passing loop is being put back in and station refurbished, pre colvid I used the railway to get to the Montgomery canal with my bike, the A458 is far to busy in my mind for safe cycling, they charged £3.50 for a dog or bike, but limited room one had problems if any wheel chair users, and not easy getting bike around the corner into the carriage.

I note on 4th and 5th September with the transport event there is a National Cycle Museum stand, not a clue what that is, it says in the old cafe area so must be small. We are joking it is the non gala weekend, it was traditional to have a gala near the end of the season, why it has not been called a gala I don't know, it seems to have the steam stuff normally found on the gala weekend, steam organ (run on electric not steam so not really a steam organ) and model railways and seems likely the odd traction engine or road roller, both Welshpool and Llanfair open, but trains can only be caught at Llanfair, colvid restrictions mean seats on train pre-booked and you will only face members of your own party.

Loads of parking in Welshpool but Llanfair side it seems only for ticket holders, there will be it seems parking at the high school. Know there is a Routemaster bus, but in Wales only just got to level zero for colvid so all a bit of a rush.

Sunday 22nd

SWMBO, daughter, & I, ended up in Ilkley this afternoon

During the course of a wander around, I noticed the back of the Station (Railway Road, which is off Brook Street

The terminus platforms were to the right of image, & the 'through' platforms (to SKipton) were above, where the orange platform is

https://britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/101300576-ilkley-station-ilkley#.YSKdj0uSnIU
From the main-entrance, on Station Road; https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/378830

When it passed over Brook Street, en-route to Skipton
Railway Road, is the sign-written building (Grocers)
fws014.jpg

Really confused me, seems two independent firms one in Suffolk and one in Manchester both called Garrett, but one shown is Manchester. Articulated engines seem to be narrow gauge special. But that line caused the diverting of the foot path, if you have every walked the path now you would see the problem, before you could have ridden it on a bike.

IaninSheffield

Veteran
Over the past few years, Derbyshire Council has developed the former Clowne Branch of the Midland Railway into a local Greenway. During that time, I've visited it several times a year and noticed gradual improvements. The latest addition by Clowne Local History Society commemorates the location of the station platform in Clowne and is helpfully supplemented with an information board.

Large_IMG_2816.JPG

Large_IMG_2814.JPG

Large_IMG_2817.JPG

EDIT: Link added

Last edited:
Top Bottom