The Rail Enthusiast thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LeetleGreyCells

Un rouleur infatigable
Over the past few years, Derbyshire Council has developed the former Clowne Branch of the Midland Railway into a local Greenway. During that time, I've visited it several times a year and noticed gradual improvements. The latest addition by Clowne Local History Society commemorates the location of the station platform in Clowne and is helpfully supplemented with an information board.

EDIT: Link added
The branchline is a great ride. They just need to finish it properly linking it to Poolsbrook with some better paths. At the other end, I have heard they are going to open it up to the station in Creswell so riders avoid Skinner Street and then you can easily cross the roads to reach the paths from the Coloured Cob Equestrian Centre that take you all the way up to the Crags. It'll be great when it's all finished. Unfortunately, projects such as this take such a long time to complete.

Did a walk in Beddgelert Forest today and upon returning to the station, this was in situ and being prepared to head further up the line.
View attachment 609551
The logo SAR/S is South African Railways/ Spoorwee.
Is the Garratt on the 2 foot 6 inch gauge?

Jenkins

Legendary Member
When the modern stuff breaks down, the older machinery is used as a rescue unit. Apologies for the poor photo, but the train I'm on has just overtaken this...

Jenkins

Legendary Member
As a follow up to the above, the Deltic was pulling an empty 'commuter' train of unknown class - I'd seen it last week at Ipswich station when it was pulling one of the new InterCity units northbound to Norwich so I think it's being used as the rail equivalent of a breakdown truck.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
As a follow up to the above, the Deltic was pulling an empty 'commuter' train of unknown class - I'd seen it last week at Ipswich station when it was pulling one of the new InterCity units northbound to Norwich so I think it's being used as the rail equivalent of a breakdown truck.
Its a spot hire locomotive. If you are short of motive power you can hire one of these for a day, month, year or whatever and it will do the pulling work, such as replacement for a unit in for repair, trial service, one-off special, or dead haul for overhaul, scrapping, etc. Front coupler has been modified so it can attach to a wide variety of units that it wouldn't normally be compatible with.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
A bit of a pile up at Enfield Town station this morning.
IMG-20211012-WA0001.jpg
IMG-20211012-WA0005.jpg
IMG-20211012-WA0003.jpg

VelvetUnderpants

Über Member
Maybach power at the Severn Valley, working and currently being overhauled.

Warship in for repaint and overhaul, next year it's the 50th anniversary of it's preservation. The first diesel locomotive to be preserved. The engine in the foreground is a Maybach engine from an Indian navy gunboat. Severn Valley purchased it as a spare engine for the Westerns. Apparently the bottom end is identical but the top end has to be removed as not currently compatible.

IMG_20211001_153338.jpg

Hymek D7029

IMG_20211001_150557.jpg

Western Courier

IMG_20211001_120949.jpg

Top Bottom