The Rail Enthusiast thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There's a new rail service betwen Wien (Austria) and Munich. They apparently ran services for a while but now they're running an hourly service with Stadler double deck units:

westbahn-922-wien-westbahnhof--709084.jpg

Apparently the company is partly owned by SNCF who I suspect are trying to get into a new lucrative route.

Full story here (in German):

This weekend the Basel-Karlsruhe line which I usually travel on to get to the family, is closed north of Freiburg because they're working on the boit where the new railway meets the old one, I suspect just south of Rastatt, where this building site is.

classic33

Leg End Member
Class 68013 waiting to depart on the 12.55 Birmingham Moor St to London Marylebone. Fitted with new nameplates covered in gaffer tape. I asked the driver what the name is and when the naming ceremony is, he replied he couldn't tell me, apparently is named after a colleague and the name will be revealed in a couple of weeks.

All very mysterious:smile:

View attachment 638674 View attachment 638675
68015 is in a similar condition.
Both said to be named after two staff who died due to Covid.
One supposed to be officially named today, the other next week.

It seems where I volunteer we are trying new fuels, we have tried one, bit of a failure, the ash forms a barrier to draft, and the ash pan fills up very fast, we have two others to test, and have not run out of coal yet, seems looking at South America for reasonable quality coal.

It is not the Ukraine invasion causing the problem, it is the failure of the washing plant for the South Wales coal, it was not economical to repair for just the narrow gauge railways of Wales, who all combined produce less CO2 to one jet to USA.

There was enough coal for around 5 years, mine was due to close, but we had time to find a replacement, but when the plant broke all the coal was sold to British steel and no more supplied to little trains of Wales.

We have the Heritage question. Corris Railway has a new engine, in the style of the old one, which Tanalyn railway has, but with roller bearings instead of white metal etc. But it looks old, even if built 2005. But again and again we get, that's not worth repairing, but it is heritage so it will be repaired. The idea of double heading so the diesel does the work, but steam looks the part, would be OK with an autocoach
1650108661197.png
but these were not used with narrow gauge, so to have a diesel at the back or middle doing the work, and a steam engine at front looking the part, would need some way to control the diesel from the steam engine. The controls look impressive
1650108971889.png
but hardly room in a narrow gauge steam engine to hide that, and not sure the driver would have enough hands to control two completely different engines.

It seems where I volunteer we are trying new fuels, we have tried one, bit of a failure, the ash forms a barrier to draft, and the ash pan fills up very fast, we have two others to test, and have not run out of coal yet, seems looking at South America for reasonable quality coal.

It is not the Ukraine invasion causing the problem, it is the failure of the washing plant for the South Wales coal, it was not economical to repair for just the narrow gauge railways of Wales, who all combined produce less CO2 to one jet to USA.

There was enough coal for around 5 years, mine was due to close, but we had time to find a replacement, but when the plant broke all the coal was sold to British steel and no more supplied to little trains of Wales.

We have the Heritage question. Corris Railway has a new engine, in the style of the old one, which Tanalyn railway has, but with roller bearings instead of white metal etc. But it looks old, even if built 2005. But again and again we get, that's not worth repairing, but it is heritage so it will be repaired. The idea of double heading so the diesel does the work, but steam looks the part, would be OK with an autocoach View attachment 640295 but these were not used with narrow gauge, so to have a diesel at the back or middle doing the work, and a steam engine at front looking the part, would need some way to control the diesel from the steam engine. The controls look impressive View attachment 640301 but hardly room in a narrow gauge steam engine to hide that, and not sure the driver would have enough hands to control two completely different engines.

That is a serious problem for GLToW. Didn't the Ffestiniog have a Fairlie that ran on waste oil at one point?

Travelling to Stuttgart to visit the family was interesting as German Railways has been closing the main line from Karlsruhe to Basel in stages to work on the new parallel freight/high speed line and its connections to the existing system. This is needed because the current line, although double track and dead straight for the most part, is way over capacity.

2022_04_17_Black_Forest_02.jpg

I took one of the new "S-Bahn" units to a small junction in the hills, then caught one of these:

2022_04_17_Black_Forest_10.jpg

Which is still one of my favourite railcars.

Yes, I admit I have a favourite railcar.

All went well until I got here:

2022_04_17_Black_Forest_03.jpg

Notice freight train in the background: the freight that normally belts along the Rhine Valley was being sent down the Neckar valley. Remember that I said the Rhine route was 2 tracks and dead straight... the Neckar line is single track for long sections and winds along the valley.

To try and help capacity intercity trains from Singen and Zürich to Stuttgart were classified as regional trains so you could use a local ticket, which would have been fine except that 1: You still needed to reserve a bike place, and 2: The trains came in more full than the Tokyo metro at rush hour and people were standing in the vestibules. I let the first train go, but on the second one they actually announced that it was filled to capacity and people would have to get off because they couldn't close the doors.

Eventually I caught a genuine local train. It could have been worse, at least I had lots of interesting trains to watch while I waited...

Last edited:
Top Bottom