The Rail Enthusiast thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thursday 31st

ECML, about 5 miles north of York

Overton Road
Between Shipton & Skelton
(off the A19)
York

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/16400
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/6709141

Last edited:

I didn't know you could see those from a road.

Bit of paint would be a good idea.

robjh

Legendary Member
Another goody from a ride today. This is Blake Hall station, on the Epping to Ongar preserved line in Essex only 20 miles from central London. A class 03 hauling some blue-and-grey coaches trundled slowly past when I was there

Until 1994 this was a (rather neglected) branch of the London Underground, with third-rail electrification, and Blake Hall was the most neglected station of them all with a very limited service. This is from a 1976 Underground map in my old-stuff cupboard.

robjh

Legendary Member
More pictures from the other day's ride, or more precisely the train ride home.

Tottenham Hale station, which is a national rail/London Underground interchange. This roof and extended concourse are
actually a very recent redevelopment and an improvement on the utilitarian mess that was there before.

and this was my train home, a class 317 on the Liverpool Street-Cambridge line. The 317s are currently being phased out after
around 40 years service, and this could well be the last one I'll go one.

Well it seems trains are returning, the local train has over Colvid been only running as a tourist attraction from local station up the line and back again without the option of getting off or on the trains at other stations, and the main line was washed out with January storms, both now seem to be returning to passenger transport.

Trains have not been running lately, guess why
1649030607754.png

Well it seems trains are returning, the local train has over Colvid been only running as a tourist attraction from local station up the line and back again without the option of getting off or on the trains at other stations, and the main line was washed out with January storms, both now seem to be returning to passenger transport.

Trains have not been running lately, guess why View attachment 638511

A scene from my teenage yeas, with more track in place then, of course...

VelvetUnderpants

Über Member
Class 68013 waiting to depart on the 12.55 Birmingham Moor St to London Marylebone. Fitted with new nameplates covered in gaffer tape. I asked the driver what the name is and when the naming ceremony is, he replied he couldn't tell me, apparently is named after a colleague and the name will be revealed in a couple of weeks.

All very mysterious:smile:

IMG_20220405_123252.jpg
IMG_20220405_123526.jpg

Landsurfer

Veteran
Whats even more mysterious is why we stopped building new locomotives in the UK ... After Brush Traction was closed by American owners Wabtec last year the skills have been lost forever ...

Landsurfer

Veteran
Especially as a lot of European countries seem to manage it...

Wasn't there a new Hitachi factory in the UK?
Hitachi, CAF, Siemens .... assembling airfix kits from the EU, Korea and Vietnam .... funny how the CAF and Siemens “factories” are next to ports to allow the off loading of nearly finished trains .... Hitachi Factory is in in Italy ..... finished off in the North East .... Stadler don’t even try to pretend .. made in Spain, Switzerland and Germany ... in that order..
Bombardier ( Canada) have been bought out by Alston ( France) ... Great British trains are a thing of the past .....
The biggest Locomotive fleet in the UK ? Class 66 ... Caterpillar Detroit ... Class 68 ? ....Kiepe Germany ......

Top Bottom