The Rail Enthusiast thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
From Wikipedia:

'In 1987, consideration was given to using the class on freight trains. To this end, 50049 "Defiance" was renumbered to 50149, equipped with modified Class 37, lower-geared bogies and outshopped in the new trainload grey livery with Railfreight decals. It was based at Plymouth Laira depot, and tested on local china clay trains in Cornwall as well as heavy stone trains to London from Devon quarries. The project was, however, not an outstanding success, and by 1989, the locomotive had returned to its original identity. Ironically, the electronic anti-wheelslip equipment (with which, the entire class had originally been built) which would have been key to the success of this experiment had been removed during the refurbishment process.'

classic33

Leg End Member
I don't mean 'we' as in us! :smile:, I mean in a similar way to what the NRM are doing with the A4s as I mentioned up thread. Anyway, wasn't/isn't one of the North American A4s in a similarly set up museum?

I am booked to go to the A4 event in November by the way, and I'm looking forwards to it!!
Dwight E. Eisenhower, alongside Mallard(in a slightly odd shade of blue).

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
I don't mean 'we' as in us! :smile:, I mean in a similar way to what the NRM are doing with the A4s as I mentioned up thread. Anyway, wasn't/isn't one of the North American A4s in a similarly set up museum?

Yes, they had a bit of a tight squeeze getting one of them out.

I am booked to go to the A4 event in November by the way, and I'm looking forwards to it!!

What's your booking for? Is it the early morning viewing to take pictures without the crowds?

Dwight E. Eisenhower, alongside Mallard(in a slightly odd shade of blue).

And a dynamometer car with a trashed polish from being left out in the rain!

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Yes, they had a bit of a tight squeeze getting one of them out.

What's your booking for? Is it the early morning viewing to take pictures without the crowds?

Yes, something like the 4th or 5th of November (The July events were already sold out). I also want to see the light show thing a few day before, so I'm making a holiday of it in York (maybe even staying at The Sidings Hotel, although I have still to book). I am considering the Shildon event next February too, but at £90 a ticket, I dunno (besides, what if the weather is crap?)

You?

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
Yes, something like the 4th or 5th of November (The July events were already sold out). I also want to see the light show thing a few day before, so I'm making a holiday of it in York (maybe even staying at The Sidings Hotel, although I have still to book). I am considering the Shildon event next February too, but at £90 a ticket, I dunno (besides, what if the weather is crap?)

You?

I don't have any bookings/tickets, but NRM is less than an hour from home for me, so I can easily go anytime. :smile:

Maybe worth checking out NYMR, KWVR, Middleton, Bolton/Embsay, Wensleydale when you're in the area. NYMR is probably the best option of those. ;)

Arch

Married to Night Train

You?

NT and I went to the illuminated event last year, it was very good, very atmospheric.

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Top Bottom