The Rail Enthusiast thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
87009, that was City of Birmingham wasn't it?

This one is the real deal ;)

mrsalt1229.jpg

With its 81 inch driving wheels it's an absolute monster of a machine.

Go to ThinkTank at Birmingham to see it.

loadimg.asp

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I went to ThinkTank about 8 years ago. 'City of Birmingham' is an absolute gem, although sadly it's all but impossible to get a good photo as it's in such cramped surroundings (hence the rather mediocre picture on the ThinkTank website).

We need to get onto the owners of all 3 to get them all reunited for a special event then!!

classic33

Leg End Member
Not sure, it was all done just before my time, I said earlier that I am not actually a class 50 fan, I just memorised the names. It was meant to be the first of a sub class for freight use, so probably the gearing/max speed, etc.
Train Load Grey/Rail Freight decals whilst 149.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
We need to get onto the owners of all 3 to get them all reunited for a special event then!!

I think that 'City of Birmingham' may have been a case of constructing the museum around the exhibit. No doubt it could be moved, but would undoubtedly cost a lot of money. That class weighs well over 100 tons!

If you want some fun there'll be six A4s at York this summer to celebrate the speed record anniversary.

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I think that 'City of Birmingham' may have been a case of constructing the museum around the exhibit. No doubt it could be moved, but would undoubtedly cost a lot of money. That class weighs well over 100 tons!

If you want some fun there'll be six A4s at York this summer to celebrate the speed record anniversary.

I don't mean 'we' as in us! :smile:, I mean in a similar way to what the NRM are doing with the A4s as I mentioned up thread. Anyway, wasn't/isn't one of the North American A4s in a similarly set up museum?

I am booked to go to the A4 event in November by the way, and I'm looking forwards to it!!

Top Bottom