The Rail Enthusiast thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
87009, that was City of Birmingham wasn't it?

This one is the real deal ;)

mrsalt1229.jpg

With its 81 inch driving wheels it's an absolute monster of a machine.

Go to ThinkTank at Birmingham to see it.

loadimg.asp

Smurfy

Naturist Smurf
That is the one Duchess I have never seen. I'll need too one day!

I went to ThinkTank about 8 years ago. 'City of Birmingham' is an absolute gem, although sadly it's all but impossible to get a good photo as it's in such cramped surroundings (hence the rather mediocre picture on the ThinkTank website).

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I went to ThinkTank about 8 years ago. 'City of Birmingham' is an absolute gem, although sadly it's all but impossible to get a good photo as it's in such cramped surroundings (hence the rather mediocre picture on the ThinkTank website).

We need to get onto the owners of all 3 to get them all reunited for a special event then!!

classic33

Leg End Member
Not sure, it was all done just before my time, I said earlier that I am not actually a class 50 fan, I just memorised the names. It was meant to be the first of a sub class for freight use, so probably the gearing/max speed, etc.
Train Load Grey/Rail Freight decals whilst 149.

OP
OP
M

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
I think that 'City of Birmingham' may have been a case of constructing the museum around the exhibit. No doubt it could be moved, but would undoubtedly cost a lot of money. That class weighs well over 100 tons!

If you want some fun there'll be six A4s at York this summer to celebrate the speed record anniversary.

I don't mean 'we' as in us! :smile:, I mean in a similar way to what the NRM are doing with the A4s as I mentioned up thread. Anyway, wasn't/isn't one of the North American A4s in a similarly set up museum?

I am booked to go to the A4 event in November by the way, and I'm looking forwards to it!!

Top Bottom