The Rail Enthusiast thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Just a thought, but with High speed trains running over 100 mph frequently along that route would Northern Rail trains get in the way, so to speak?
Northern trains are generally on slower track, with no overhead power lines.

classic33

Leg End Member
That's a bit unfair, Pacers move pretty fast.

Admittedly up and down rather than along, but still...
I remember when they were introduced in these parts. The shiny, hard plastic seating, that was easy to clean. Either a wipe, or a water jet/spray if things were really bad.

Ay, those were the days. New rolling stock between Leeds and Manchester, clean inside and out.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Class 313 farewell tour today from Kings Cross. Finishing back at King Cross 15.35.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Has someone on the railways been reading CycleChat..? ^_^

DMUs converted to carry bikes on the West Highland Line:
https://www.railwaygazette.com/uk/d...ggage-on-the-west-highland-line/54885.article

classic33

Leg End Member
A note for anyone intending to travel through Leeds on Sunday the 27th. Leeds station will be closed, with no Northern services between Leeds and Manchester. Unable to find anything for FTP services.

The half marathon, on the same day, will see a number of roads in the City centre closed.

Buses replace trains between stations.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
A note for anyone intending to travel through Leeds on Sunday the 27th. Leeds station will be closed, with no Northern services between Leeds and Manchester. Unable to find anything for FTP services.

The half marathon, on the same day, will see a number of roads in the City centre closed.

Buses replace trains between stations.

• Saturday 26 October – Limited service to/from Leeds Stations
  • Sunday 27 October – No service to/from Leeds Station until 11:45 (replacement bus service will serve passengers across all routes)

https://www.networkrail.co.uk/runni...es/north-and-east/leeds-station-improvements/

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Is anyone going to miss them?

(scarily, probably yes!)
I have travelled on them since the introduction of the electrification of the service in the mid to late 70's. They were much better than the old DMU's they replaced. The last few years they suffered badly from graffiti artists, the company never replaced the vinyl livery and they looked a right mess. They also suffered from flats on the wheels. You could hear them coming from a long way away. The new class 717 units very good though.

The land where the local station sidings (as they were) once were is in the process of being dug-up/transformed into 130 - 150 houses

It's a reasonably sized area, for those that know it, it was Normanton South Yard

All that's left now of the infrastructure is the (shortened) island platform, reached by a footbridge, & the remains of a Bay - with some impressive stonework (1)
It's where, what appears, to be a (towable) Compressor stood in this image

The bridge connected to the Station Hotel
Later becoming a pub, named the Flying Scotsman
The 'FS' is now flats/apartments, with just the stone abutment in place as retaining wall

It's the area to the south of the bridge that's being 'rehoused'
It was a fair old size, when it was operational
A lot of traffic was from all the local pits/collieries

1950's???
And busy!

During the relevelling/clearing, it's believed that parts of the 1850's has been uncovered
With stonework from the building on the left of this illustration being exposed

I, for one, hopes so & it is properly examined (& maybe... I can wish here...) made part of a feature in the new estate, when it's finished

Not the best of images, it's from my iPhone, when I called in on my way home from work (circa 16:30)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Normanton_railway_station

1. The Bay as seen in the first image

Top Bottom