The Rail Enthusiast thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Why the scrapping or why do I like them?

The first one is obvious. The second is beyond my understanding!

:smile:

Fair enough. They were a part of my childhood and I always liked the looks of the 142's. Of course, not having to use them regularly or indeed once in the last 20 years is probably an advantage.

We don't get many class 142's in Baden-Württemberg, because they were an East German class, but we did have a lot of class 143's locally:

ess_07.jpg

until they were replaced in recent years by Br 146's:

2019_09_19_esslingen_02.jpg

classic33

Leg End Member
Certainly not Pacer units. They're not PRM compliant, and will all be scrapped once withdrawn. Also terrible in a crash and even more frightening in a fire.
Northern will be running them next year, possibly as late as 2022.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Pacers are finally going into storage and eventually scrap:

I know I'm in a minority of one here, but I still like them.

I'd imagine that Greater Anglia would like to get hold of them now as an emergency measure. Brand new Class755 trains were introduced to the local network recently and it appears they weren't tested correctly as they don't seem to be recognised by the signalling system leading to problems such as the barriers on one crossing lifted as the train approached. Also one appeared to lift its pantograph causing damage when it hit a bridge on a non-electrified line.

As a result, they've been withdrawn from service leading to complete cancellation of all services on the lines from Ipswich to Felixstowe, Cambridge and Peterborough, severe restrictions from Ipswich to Lowestoft and from Norwich to Yarmouth, Cambridge & Sheringham. Some of the old stock is being used to run a limited service, but the vast majority has had to go back to the leasing company as it is due to be used elsewhere on the network after refurbishment.

Then there was the news yesterday that the Intercity replacement trains for the Norwich/Ipswich/London line being built by Bombardier will be delivered at least 3 months late due to "software" issues.

classic33

Leg End Member
Northern are having similar issues with their new rolling stock. Computers controlling the operation, with the driver at times mearly another passenger.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Seriously? couldn't they replace 156/158's (and pacers where there still are some) on longer rural services?

Probably not. 156s, 158s, and a lot more, are compatible with each other through BSI couplers and 2-wire 3-step braking control. 185 uses Scharfenberg couplers. Not aware of braking control logic, but could well be PWM, i.e. continuously variable. Not impossible to make a few changes - just rather difficult and expensive.

They are also a bit heavier, so probably attract significantly higher track access charges.

Last edited:
Top Bottom