The Rail Enthusiast thread

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mike_P

Guru
Seems to be a problem with anything new, not helped no doubt by unique features that fitters are uncertain over given no doubt the limited training they have had.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Could have been the amount of water hitting it, in a wave
Conversely, given the noise on the film clip, a pebble picked up by the water?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-51139119
I love his comments when news agencies ask for permission to use it. BBC, ITV, Mirror - yes, no problem. Sky, Daily Mail - no chance you scum!

BrumJim

My dad was in York today and sent me this photo:

View attachment 500789

Apparently they were on weed killing duty. Anyone know why the cabs manage to be clean(er) though?

My guess would be that the drivers need clean windows, and object to dirty doors, but the weed killing duty means that they will inevitably get dirty. Hence to save money and avoid cleaning something that will be just as dirty again in a few hours, they have agreed to extend the essential cleaning as far as the doors but no further.

BrumJim

Seems to be a problem with anything new, not helped no doubt by unique features that fitters are uncertain over given no doubt the limited training they have had.

The problem appears to be due to a new generation of trains from the major manufacturers building for the UK. Hitachi should be over their teething problems soon, and all new ones should work nicely. Not convinced that Bombardier ones have fully ironed out all issues, and CAF and Stadler are much lower down the learning curve. In a while, when all these new fleets are running nicely, new trains should be introduced into service without too many troubles.

classic33

Leg End Member
My dad was in York today and sent me this:

_rNslkkKkRe1OXYHRMxqLx9VSCL3gi-RXrQFQcysilPMHvV4GTXIDhcuSiGJ0SHyrghoVzrf7ao-VHmf6oTC4H3ppa0Ai3GH9MAQsZ6SqowrcfJ85ZH12syjD6RuFhx0A6-aydfl3q1ltEhiAnMMi0UloRZ8Arc42_-bSPL3EPEHw6aU8fjErzNDBhXFSh7zSk0U1v6O8bGBJi9sLhPN-_BOs-jRPGgsNAR0K2GGq9e4pAMwlEEXsykW-7Vn4zC4MHxFkOHDUPqtT6NvvOOeShjw12ZncF70xXddbdjU1SRiZNTYIspMFMwMrvgZ70zKHQcPZDeoDVuw5cJZu_oGVyampVTBplx4hIpjaWQXi2KHibssa-EJrNK-m3b7Ge3nnx4-njvsQY5CK15XO9VJbxYouJBTIXfqCxHLe3FkHqUkCgyHHL9Ypqygq8VdGcW7uOEp78zDO_Jf8WDeXcmlPik7BsEf8zZ3ZCPtn-CInXtj3KT43o3utFvf-8JmYvZoR-3q6_o4bj_8waaqnMmwABKgiHFnx_abAdJvjf3n4y41btxIWuHTZeHJDy90oaGZ-oZHiHlDN7LplZ57kXN6NaksGe4HYELJfbavnEF4_9tvR_GEengrzlYjPHmnrqy7JzfV_XUhEpWgX-KE-WWEeHsMRna70VNbgqwiwLZPp0FOF3HGjVyMypohTfsOGoDE-bY3h-rgxz-Mofb2erIxjRBCmZFxkYjcmQWWO02JyS_NY-pRZwfzvQ5QHwg=s0-l75-ft-l75-ft

Apparently they were on weed killing duty. Anyone know why the cabs manage to be clean(er) though?
Air intakes?

BrumJim

My dad was in York today and sent me this photo:

View attachment 500789

Sorry. Obvious, but this isn't weedkiller, it's sandite. Sand and glue. Stops wheels sliding on the tracks, but gets everywhere and sticks to metal. Which is what it is supposed to do.

Wrong time of year for weedkiller.

classic33

Leg End Member
Sorry. Obvious, but this isn't weedkiller, it's sandite. Sand and glue. Stops wheels sliding on the tracks, but gets everywhere and sticks to metal. Which is what it is supposed to do.

Wrong time of year for weedkiller.
Why not on the cabs though?

And I'm blaming @Andy in Germany for asking.

BrumJim

Why not on the cabs though?

And I'm blaming @Andy in Germany for asking.

As before - cabs would have been cleaned to ensure that the drivers can see out. They will also have insisited on the doors and side windows being cleaned, as Sandite is unpleasant stuff. To clean the rest of the train would be a lot of work, and not much point since within an hour or two it would be just as bad.

I'm sure that they will get a good clean at the end of the leaf-fall season.

A remaining rail, of the East & West Yorkshire Union Railway - the other is lightly covered
(well, there are other reminders, but not at this particular spot)
This was a line to the quarries at the top of Thorpe Lane

It's on Milner Lane, just off the A61 (main Leeds - Wakefield road) at Robin Hood; where the northbound road starts to descend towards Leadwell Lane, & The Halfway House pub

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/3916955

Scroll down to Armitages Quarry Branch; http://www.lostrailwayswestyorkshire.co.uk/E&WYUR.htm

1905 25"/mile' https://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=17&lat=53.7389&lon=-1.5104&layers=168&b=1

Presumably the gate-pillars that are marked on the 25" map

Last edited:

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Tues 7th

Senior Management was undertaking some consultancy work at Scarborough Hospital
I arranged for a days annual-leave & drove her up (thus earning brownie points?)
We were up there, before 08:45 (with her meeting starting at 09:30)
Once dropped off, I had a few hours (not sure how many it would be) exploring....
Normally I consider Scarborough to be 'Blackpool-on-the- North Sea', but out of season today, it was quite enjoyable

11 various buildings/structures. from HERE

I also went to the railway station

View attachment 499931

View attachment 499934
View attachment 499932 View attachment 499933

View attachment 499937
View attachment 499938

Platform 1 isn't the straightest of line......…

View attachment 499936
Class 68s look mean. Better without the yellow ends, too (yellow ends are no longer mandatory if you have the right type of headlight).

I was in Tübingen last week, unusually on a week day because I was being interviewed.

Because I can't do anything the simple way I caught the train there via another appointment and then cycled back.

DB is running their newish class 147 locomotives on push-pull services between Stuttgart and Tübingen, instead of the 143's that I used to travel behind, or in front of depending on direction.

Line to Stuttgart is behind the camera, I arrived on the railcar in the distance, which trundled through the hills from Herrenberg.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I think Class 20s are still used by DRS on weedkilling trains. They were the first diesels delivered under the 1950s Modernisation Plan and a few are still going nearly 70 years later. Single cab design means they are nearly always seen in pairs, nose-to-nose. A mere 1000hp each.

English Electric diesels did pretty well among all the duffers turned out by other manufacturers. Their only real failure was the Baby Deltic. The Class 40 was a bit meh, being too underpowered to replace Gresley steam Pacifics, but was reliable enough.

Last edited:
Top Bottom