The realisation you're getting old

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I get called stuff like 'Lovey' in a slightly patronising but not meant to be offensive more friendly kind of way, by women I think are getting on a bit.:smile:

Sharky

Guru
My other sport is table tennis and I've just been looking at the ranking lists for our local league.
Out of 143 players, I am ranked 69th. Nothing wrong with that.
But looking at the over 50's, the number of players drop to 84, with me now in 42nd place. Again nothing to worry about.

But looking at the over 70's, which is my group, the number of players drops to a worrying 21 players only, with me at 8th place.

But scary, looking at the over 80's, which will be my group in 7yrs, there is just ONE player who has made it into this age group!

What are the chances of me surviving to reach that group? Worrying!!!

classic33

Leg End Member
My other sport is table tennis and I've just been looking at the ranking lists for our local league.
Out of 143 players, I am ranked 69th. Nothing wrong with that.
But looking at the over 50's, the number of players drop to 84, with me now in 42nd place. Again nothing to worry about.

But looking at the over 70's, which is my group, the number of players drops to a worrying 21 players only, with me at 8th place.

But scary, looking at the over 80's, which will be my group in 7yrs, there is just ONE player who has made it into this age group!

What are the chances of me surviving to reach that group? Worrying!!!
Presuming the other* over 80 hasn't given up waiting for someone to play against, you'll be in with a shout.

*They may have moved onto the over 90 group by that time.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
When younger riders fly past you. My head is willing but the legs are declining.

Sharky

Guru
Presuming the other* over 80 hasn't given up waiting for someone to play against, you'll be in with a shout.

*They may have moved onto the over 90 group by that time.

With the local TT leagues, there is no separation on ages. I've played some old players and some kids of primary school age. A few of the latter receive coaching from a very early age and start off being exceptional and then get better! I've lost to one or two or more of these.

It was quite good when my son was just starting to play, when he was about 8yrs. He was in the same team as Cliff, one or older players who was 84 yrs at the time. There are not many sports where there can be such an age variance.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
While in a very busy pub on Friday night watching the England football match I was offered a seat with a back on, not a barstool, as "we don't want you falling off' and someone offered to walk me to the wet slippery floor gents, so that I wouldn't 'have a fall'. Notice that when they think you're old it's "have a fall", not just "fall over".:rolleyes:

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Another ex fellow pupil died about a week ago. I was shown the link to his obituary by another ex fellow pupil. He was only 61 and it said that he died peacefully in the hospice, which always makes me think it was probably cancer. I think that's the 4th this year out of about 100 in our year (we left school in 1977). Then of course quite a few have gone in previous years.:unsure:

Last edited:

Gwylan

Veteran
While in a very busy pub on Friday night watching the England football match I was offered a seat with a back on, not a barstool, as "we don't want you falling off' and someone offered to walk me to the wet slippery floor gents, so that I wouldn't 'have a fall'. Notice that when they think you're old it's "have a fall", not just "fall over".:rolleyes:

Quite upset me, had noticed this but not bothered by it . Then caused me to think about "what do they see?" Rather than what I think I am.
Now I'm not sure.
Depends on the age, gender and looks of the next person who offers me their seat.

Top Bottom