The realisation you're getting old

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
A few aches and pains yesterday, probably due to the relentless crap weather made me take three paracetamol tablets. Being a fight the pain with your body, not with chemicals type I was reluctant to take them, but after hours of continuous niggling pain it had to be done. Not only that, but on parking yesterday, reversing back and forward I had one bloke say to me through my open car window as he jumped on the pavement that I shouldn't reverse if someone's walking behind my car. The road I was parking up on was virtually traffic free, so why walk directly behind a reversing car when his path was clear, well away from my maneuvering car!!:headshake:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
A few aches and pains yesterday, probably due to the relentless crap weather made me take three paracetamol tablets. Being a fight the pain with your body, not with chemicals type I was reluctant to take them, but after hours of continuous niggling pain it had to be done. Not only that, but on parking yesterday, reversing back and forward I had one bloke say to me through my open car window as he jumped on the pavement that I shouldn't reverse if someone's walking behind my car. The road I was parking up on was virtually traffic free, so why walk directly behind a reversing car when his path was clear, well away from my maneuvering car!!:headshake:

i have been on cocodamol all week for my bad thumb and you have a lot of years on me , a lifetime of manual work is taking its toll on me .

Slick

Guru
and im supposed to do this till im 67 ? people who generally say such things are sitting behind a desk from my experience .

Well I got out as I realised that there was no way I could maintain the output I was producing. Still paid quite a high price in terms of pain management and visits to physio and the likes to try and stay mobile. I've had a frozen shoulder for the best part of a year, which would have simply meant I would be unable to do my old job, even after a cortisone injection, I would still struggle. Fortunately though, I'm still able to type. :okay:

cyberknight

Well I got out as I realised that there was no way I could maintain the output I was producing. Still paid quite a high price in terms of pain management and visits to physio and the likes to try and stay mobile. I've had a frozen shoulder for the best part of a year, which would have simply meant I would be unable to do my old job, even after a cortisone injection, I would still struggle. Fortunately though, I'm still able to type. :okay:

at my workplace we had a discussion with the union rep when he came around to talk about the situation at work as we have been told agency workers are being let go as there is a big down turn.Member development is nil, i have been asking for a transfer to a less strenuous role for a few years , we raised the companies policy of any worker any job but the young uns are getting put on manually easy jobs whereas time served guys like me are still left on the heavy roles as they just will not do it or cope with it .

basically we like it , lump it or leave .

postman

Legendary Member
I have aged since October and the chemo plus this months vertigo has knocked me for six.Everything is a chore.Two jobs today and i gave up,i will tackle the door covering the washing machine,the fitted one not the washing machine door,the engineer has not put it back properly,it sticks out not flush and it won't stick closed on the magnets.The orther is the holder that rises up with the shower head,it has come loose,i tried but gave up in frustration that's another thing tiredness does.I fancy fitting a new rod it will be quicker.

Landsurfer

Veteran
at my workplace we had a discussion with the union rep when he came around to talk about the situation at work as we have been told agency workers are being let go as there is a big down turn.Member development is nil, i have been asking for a transfer to a less strenuous role for a few years , we raised the companies policy of any worker any job but the young uns are getting put on manually easy jobs whereas time served guys like me are still left on the heavy roles as they just will not do it or cope with it .

That sounds like a constructive dismissal situation is being put in place by your employers … forcing the older employees to leave rather than offer redundancy … the young workers won’t do your work but contractors will … and cheaper … once their feet have dried off from jumping out of the boats ……….

cyberknight

That sounds like a constructive dismissal situation is being put in place by your employers … forcing the older employees to leave rather than offer redundancy … the young workers won’t do your work but contractors will … and cheaper … once their feet have dried off from jumping out of the boats ……….

well i cannot say , the work around is your classed as a "member" and can be put anywhere .I know of one who was taken off an easier job to a hard one and the deadline for early retirement was "extended ".The new workers are on about £5k a year less and people who have been there longer than me can be on a similar amount more for the same job .Some of those who have been there longer than me ( i have been there 20 years ) have even had pay rises capped so they dont overtake the minimum for team leader pay

Slick

Guru

I know I sound like Uncle Albert when I say things like this, but the young uns won't do the graft, that's why they need you.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
and im supposed to do this till im 67 ? people who generally say such things are sitting behind a desk from my experience .

I officially retire at 66 years, 3 months, which will be in February 2027. So if you have to wait till 67 I'm guessing you were born in 1961, maybe '62.🤔 As for those who advocate working till our 70's, I find many MP's and those in theHouse of Lords think this would benefit those who have worked all their lives, looking forward to retiring in their mid 60's. That's ok for that lot as they don't do physical work and those in the House of Lords get £350 s day if they sign in, then they can sleep all day!🧐

Alex321

Veteran
I officially retire at 66 years, 3 months, which will be in February 2027. So if you have to wait till 67 I'm guessing you were born in 1961, maybe '62.🤔 As for those who advocate working till our 70's, I find many MP's and those in theHouse of Lords think this would benefit those who have worked all their lives, looking forward to retiring in their mid 60's. That's ok for that lot as they don't do physical work and those in the House of Lords get £350 s day if they sign in, then they can sleep all day!🧐

Yes. I am one of those who don't do physical work, having been an IT developer all my working life. I reach state pension age at exactly 66, next January, but have no intention of fully retiring at that point. I have told them I want to go part time from then, probably doing 3 days a week for the next 3-4 years, with the aim of fully retiring at 70. I could afford to retire in January, I just don't particularly want to.

cyberknight

Yes. I am one of those who don't do physical work, having been an IT developer all my working life. I reach state pension age at exactly 66, next January, but have no intention of fully retiring at that point. I have told them I want to go part time from then, probably doing 3 days a week for the next 3-4 years, with the aim of fully retiring at 70. I could afford to retire in January, I just don't particularly want to.

i was offered early retirement this year but i have a 12 and 17 year old to provide for so even if i took the money and ran i would need a full time job paying the same .

Top Bottom